Transmission.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Samuraj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when is good mileage to do trans service ?
Oil and filter
And rear end service
2wd

Amanda4461

Reaction score
Everyone has a different take. I change my ATF and Filter at 30k, then again every 30k. The job is not hard, just a little messy. I have never had a transmission problem, but I have spent a few hundred bucks on filters, fluid and gaskets. Cheap insurance as opposed to a new tranny. Some shops have started refusing to change fluid in a customer's transmission unless the fluid has been changed at least once before 100k miles. They do not want to be held liable if their oil change leads to a failed transmission from introducing new fluid and filter into an old gummed up tranny. My pan is always clean, with only a light amount of clutch dust that I have to clean out. The fluid never looks old or smells bad either.

OP
OP
S

Samuraj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I only know past maintenance record ....80.000 miles now
Fluid looks clean , was 1/4 low .

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I change my ATF and Filter at 30k, then again every 30k. The job is not hard, just a little messy.

Can I ask what brand of filter you use when you do your change?

And by change do you just mean what is in the pan when you drain it or do you break a line and add fresh & pump old until the complete volume is exchanged?

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
To make life easier, I suggest getting a pan with a built in drain plug. I Change fluid every 15-20k with a filter every other service. You can also get a fliud extractor and drain through the trans dip stick but wont get nearly as much out but still makes the job less messy

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Did you have to drop the exhaust to get the pan in there? I had to do that on my 04 and the exhaust nuts were some SOBs.

On my 08 I was able to finagle it by loosening the trans mount, use a jack to push the trans up and Was able to slide it in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos