Transmission Shudder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fjs0001

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’ve been reading the forum for awhile and now it’s time to join in.

I bought a 2005 Escalade AWD off craigslist to tow my other projects around town. I had it a week before the problems started. It felt like I was driving over the rumble strips on the side of the road when I was driving around 40~50 mph. It drove fine if I turned on tow mode. I checked the fluid and it looked like strawberry milk. My radiator sprung an internal leak and put water in the transmission. I replaced the radiator, added the tru cool 40k transmission cooler, new filter, and flushed the transmission. Still shuddered around 40~50 mph.

Next, I replaced the filter and torque converter with an advanced auto parts Pro King converter. I was going to buy a monster transmission converter, but advance had a 25% off online sale. Now it almost feels fixed, but I can still feel a little slipping when around 40~50 mph. I’m suspicious of the quality of the Pro King converter, but I did have water in my ATF after all. It still drives fine in tow mode.

I just ordered the corvette and superior 4th gear servos to help bump up my pressures. If that gets rid of the 40~50 mph slipping, I’m going to tow my Jeep around and see what happens.

OP
OP
Fjs0001

Fjs0001

Reaction score
More back story. When I added the transmission cooler, I took the stock one out and let the transmission pump out the old ATF while I poured new ATF in. I did this until it stopped coming out milky. I also dropped the pan and replaced the filter. The shudder was the same.

When I replaced the torque converter, I dropped the pan again to find that it was still milky. I was hoping this time all the milk was gone. The shudder improved a lot, but still there.

This weekend I installed the corvette and superior 4th gear servos. When I pulled out the stock ones, they were gunked with white sludge. I enjoy the improved shifting, but a little shudder is still there. It never shudders when I’m giving it a lot of gas. Only when I’m holding it steady around 40~45 mph.

I’m going to have it professionally flushed since I found that white gunk. If that doesn’t get rid of the shudder, I might return the Pro King converter and buy the Monster converter.

OP
OP
Fjs0001

Fjs0001

Reaction score
The shudder is gone! Great success! Valvoline pumped out and put back in 12 quarts. I’m thinking I used between 30~40 quarts of ATF during this whole ordeal. I drove it around for an hour and it never shuddered. It was a quart low after I got home. I put Lucas ATF conditioner in it. I definitely recommend pulling out the servos for cleaning. There was a lot of white gunk built up there.

I’ll continue driving it to work for the rest of the week and report back. If I make it through the week, then I’m going to tow my Jeep around and see what happens.

OP
OP
Fjs0001

Fjs0001

Reaction score
Update. I was driving to work one morning and it had a small shudder. I poured some shudder stop and drove for another week without issue. My gf drove it the next day and said it did it again. I added another tube of shudder stop and drove it a week without issue. I had read on other car forms that most people use two tubes of shudder stop. Finally the day came for me to put the transmission against it's first challenge.D1EF5964-9A94-4FDD-AC01-3660891E8D66.jpeg
It did great! I drove around for about an hour going up and down hills at 70 mph. My Jeep weighs 6000lbs and I’m guessing the trailer weighs about 2000lbs. It was 60 degrees outside and the highest my transmission temperature reached was 175 degrees. I bypassed the radiator when I added the transmission cooler. I might add it back in if it gets above 200 degrees this summer.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only when I’m holding it steady around 40~45 mph.

Welcome to the forum from Georgia Dawg country. Did you test it the same as your above statement ? Just curious, hope you found it.
David g...........:)

OP
OP
Fjs0001

Fjs0001

Reaction score
Only when I’m holding it steady around 40~45 mph.

Welcome to the forum from Georgia Dawg country. Did you test it the same as your above statement ? Just curious, hope you found it.
David g...........:)
I did, but I was in tow mode. I’ve never been able to get it to shudder in tow mode.

OP
OP
Fjs0001

Fjs0001

Reaction score
Think you licked it Forrest. Just needed a good flush to get into all the nooks and crannies of the transmission.
Well my gf just called and said it did it again. She put it in tow mode and it did it then as well. Back to the drawing board.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Well my gf just called and said it did it again. She put it in tow mode and it did it then as well. Back to the drawing board.

Maybe 3 tubes will do it..... I'm only kidding. It does seem as though you have made some progress with your methods, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT