Transmission issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbtahoe01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
as of yesterday i lost 3rd and 4th.
ive been pricing transmissions and i really dont want to put too much money into this truck as its an 01.. so i found an escalade that got wrecked and the transmission is good, however with me having the 5.3 and it having the 6.0 will it bolt right up or with some modification need to be done??
i can get it and have a friend put it in all for less than $500 vs 1800 fr a rebuild.. but ive also considered junking the tahoe and just getting grabbing an 05-06 expedition for under $4000

i swapped the engine on the tahoe about a year and a half ago b/c no compression in cylinder 7
i checked the codes on the truck and it has:
p0420
p600
p0428
p2000

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Different flex plates.

More problems to be had with the ford IMO. If the tahoe’s in decent shape its worth getting a rebuilt for it

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
The motor will bolt to the bellhousing no problem. 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0 blocks are all the same. I went from a 4.8 to a 6.0 using the same trans. Not sure about the flexplate, as my buddy did the swap for me.

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.0 has a different torque converter bolt pattern and depth. So if dbtahoe can get the flexplate and spacer off the eskys 6.0 hes in business. Fun fact, all GM’s conventional V engines have the same bell housing adaptatablity

Just this weekend i yanked a 4.3 out of a regcab short bed sierra and stuffed a 5.3 in.
Time to shred some rear tires :lol2:

Last edited:

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They will bolt up. The 6.0 only has a different converter if it had a 4l80 behind it. . Escalades didn't come with 4l80s so you are good to go.

The only part right about the prev post is the bellhousings are the same. I'll spare you the complications of my swap, but you can get creative.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They will bolt up. The 6.0 only has a different converter if it had a 4l80 behind it. . Escalades didn't come with 4l80s so you are good to go.

The only part right about the prev post is the bellhousings are the same. I'll spare you the complications of my swap, but you can get creative.

So your saying a 6.0/4L65 combo only had 3 converter bolts and the flex plate isn’t dished?

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your saying a 6.0/4L65 combo only had 3 converter bolts and the flex plate isn’t dished?
The 6.0/4l60 has a 3 bolt converter and it IS dished. I ran this setup until my 4l60 broke.

Just for reference..I swapped in an 80e and kept the 3 bolt dished flexplate. I had the converter made to match the dished plate and bigger 80e pump spline. My stock 80e flexplate is flat with a spacer and has 6 bolts from a 2500 suburban (this is the combo you're talking about), but I didn't want to use it since I already had a SFI approved 60e plate.

Hope this clears it up.

OP
OP
D

dbtahoe01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have access to a 5.3 tranny too i just didnt know if the 6.0's would bolt up or not. i'll just swap the 5.3 trans and hope the truck will run for another year or 2. the truck has 288k on it, the expedition only has 140k on it and my cousin is a ford engineer so if anything ever happens he'd take care of it for me. i honestly just want another truck but if i can save some money i guess i will and maybe get a newer tahoe or armada next year
thanks for all the help, i knew i could rely on you guys

OP
OP
D

dbtahoe01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i know what the p420 is but what about the other codes?
p600 i think was b/c the fuse was blown and the odb wasnt working
428 says Catalyst Temperature Sensor High Input Bank 1 Sensor 1, but whats the issue???
p2000 for a tahoe i couldnt find

stevedonato

Reaction score
as of yesterday i lost 3rd and 4th.
ive been pricing transmissions and i really dont want to put too much money into this truck as its an 01.. so i found an escalade that got wrecked and the transmission is good, however with me having the 5.3 and it having the 6.0 will it bolt right up or with some modification need to be done??
i can get it and have a friend put it in all for less than $500 vs 1800 fr a rebuild.. but ive also considered junking the tahoe and just getting grabbing an 05-06 expedition for under $4000

i swapped the engine on the tahoe about a year and a half ago b/c no compression in cylinder 7
i checked the codes on the truck and it has:
p0420
p600
p0428
p2000
I had a 2005 expedition. Al expeitions and any other Ford trucks with the same Tritin V8 have the spark plugs blowing out of the head problem. Ford let this problem continue fo 7 years. I understand it was fixed in 2007. It was aluminum heads with only 3 threads holding each plugs in. When I went for my 100,000 mile maintenance at the dealer. They wanted me to sign a document stating that if one of the plugs striped coming out (which they admitted it was a design flaw) I would have to pay $1,500 for them to remove the head and rethread the plug hole. I said no thanks and traded it in at a Chevy dealer on a Silverado.
check a great site called carcomplaints.com. Every car (almost) ever made, is listed there with customer (and Federal) complaints.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins