Transmission fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go by the manual so you don’t void the warrant and keep all of your receipts. Using premium gas will take care of the valves but once again go by the manual and keep receipts. Remember that the manual is designed to protect the vehicle and keep GM from covering repairs when we don’t follow it. Use your free OnStar to keep records along with your receipts.

kentman

Reaction score
I keep detailed records. I have a spreadsheet that tabulates date, miles, activity, cost, who did the work, etc. I also load all my data to my.carfax.com. Regarding the transmission, there is no fluid / filter service through 100K miles for normal conditions. Thus, they cannot complain to me, if the transmission were to die at 99K miles, that I did not do the required service.

For normal driving conditions per the owners manual, there is no service required on the transmission up through 150K miles. On the severe schedule, they recommend every 45K miles. This agrees with the specifications for Dexron VI of 50K miles for severe. I am going with the specifications for Dexron VI for normal at 100K miles in spite of what the owners manual says.

ervsfire

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve got a 2017 Tahoe Premier. Just came up on 15,000 Miles. Transmission shifts just fine. I however did do a flush for a few different reasons.
-I hauled a 7x16 enclosed steel frame trailer about 3,000 from Wisconsin to Wyoming with my CanAm Commander inside. Tranny was up and down the whole way. Probably a little heavier then I anticipated with everything in it.
-transmission break ins are crucial early in life. Wearing parts break in period.
-the color of the transmission fluid was almost yellow to clear and was hard to see on the dipstick. Level was good. Smelled ok.
-it’s easier and healthier for the vehicle to change fluid more frequent especially with flushing capabilities. Transmissions and GM transmissions at that don’t like first time flushing at higher mileage. Keep em flushed early and continue with routine.
-transmissions don’t like heat. New fluid keeps temps at a low. I didn’t add any additives or magic juice as I really don’t believe in them unless you already have a filing trans.

Just thought I would add in a couple cents on this [emoji851]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not recommend this, but my brother's Silverado was still running and shifting perfectly fine when he sold it after 18 years and 450,000 miles. And he had never changed the tranny fluid. My mechanic said that after a certain point, you are probably better off to not change it. My brother certainly must have reached that point, LOL!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts