Transmission fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordfest

Reaction score
I recently had the oil changed on our 2016 Denali XL. We currently have 20,000 miles on it. The service advisor said they recommend changing the transmission fluid at 25,000-30,000 miles.

This seems way to early to me. I know it is a different transmission than was in our 2003 or 2007, but seems like it is too soon to be thinking about that.

They also recommend doing a fuel service because the direct injection system is known to build up carbon on the valves.

Thought?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too early imo, 50-60k for trans, but maybe 16’s benefit from early trans service. Get a can of kreen for the fuel system and follow the directions on the can.

OP
OP
F

fordfest

Reaction score
I'm guessing the new service writer might be pushing to get their numbers up. I'll check the manual

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They also recommend doing a fuel service because the direct injection system is known to build up carbon on the valves.

Thought?
I did read somewhere that in a direct injection motor, the fuel is not able the quench the back of the valves to burn off the deposits. They were playing with manifold and direct injection systems to clean the backs of the valves. How good the dealers injection system cleaning is another story.

07 Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Per the owner’s manual, fluid and filter change on the 2018 10-speed is every 45k miles. Perhaps it is the same for the 8-speed.

kentman

Reaction score
For normal driving Dexron VI is rated good to 100K miles. If you are towing, driving in high heat, or off-roading, then the specifications call for 50K miles. I am normal driving. Thus, I am shooting for 100K miles. I keep an eye on level and fluid color inbetween.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of “junk” in a new transmission—and I don’t believe in 100k OEM fluids.

Changed the Tahoe at 2k and 25k. Used full synthetic. Works great and shifts well.

Fluid changes are like opinions. Everyone has one and believes their way is best! If nothing else, go by the factory recommendation but follow the “severe” schedule. Also note, with a change you only really change about 50-70% of the fluid. The rest is in the coolers, torque converters, etc...

kentman

Reaction score
I am at 66K miles with the original fluid filled at the Arlington factory in April 2015. The color and level are good, and the shifts are good and solid. I will probably wait another 34K miles to do the swap myself with Dexron VI. So far, so good.

My factory powertrain warranty goes until April 2020 or 100K miles, which ever comes first. I will hit 100K miles right around April 2020. If anything weird happens in the transmission, then GM will be paying for a rebuild. I do not expect that to be the case. I am shooting for over 250K miles on this rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore