Transmission banging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tyrone27

Reaction score
Have a 93 suburban and the transmission is banging in 1st and 2nd gear. When it's warmed up through driving its less harsh. The guy I brought it from said the transmission was rebuild a year ago. Checked the fluid and its clean. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do to source it.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Yukon96

Reaction score
As it was explained to me. Transmissions out of the factory are made to shift smoothly through the gears for a smooth ride. A solenoid valve makes that happen, however, that typically causes the clutch plates to ware out from the slow transition between gears over time. Rebuild mechanics will often install a solenoid to make that transition faster, therefor making the clutches last longer. That's your bump. And, yes, it is more prominent when it's cold and tapers some when warmed up. Even when warm, if you accelerate quickly from a full stop you will feel a good bump as it shifts quicker than the stock transmission. The only real problem with it is it seems a little ******* the rest of the drive train behind it, such as, the u joints. Other than that, it should last ya a while. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tyrone27

Reaction score
Yeah might be. But it's a pretty hard bang might the transmission is coming through the floor bang. But I pulled codes and one is a map sensor code. So I'm going to replace the map and tps Friday to see if it will fix it.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Yukon96

Reaction score
It's worth a shot. Be sure to go with AC Delco. Not aftermarket from your local parts store. Ebay or Amazon are about the cheapest places to find them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan