Transfer Case Type

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jazz

Reaction score
Hey all,

So the front end was done. All of it.

Now it's time to drop the transfer case and change the rear output bearings and the seals. There isn't a tag- but I called the dealer and he said by the VIN, I have a NP8.

Is that a 246?

RicanGM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at my built sheet and I also have a NP8 RPO code, this is what is says,

NP8
TRANSFER CASE ACTIVE, TWO SPEED, PUSH BUTTON CONTROL TRANSFER CASE(NP8)

A NVG 256

OP
OP
J

Jazz

Reaction score
I had to look for it. There's a small round tag on the other side- turns out I have a GM246.
And.. all weekend to try and fix it.

OP
OP
J

Jazz

Reaction score
207k. It's in fairly good condition- we had a rebuilt motor put in about 30k ago. The transfer case needs some love- it has a horrible clicking sound when the rear driveshaft turns. I'm hoping when I get it put back together the 4wd engages.

RicanGM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one thing am concerned with is the pump housing rubbing on the case, as mentioned on the sticky at the beginning of this section.

Mine truck has 125,000, am wonder by what mileage should I expect
the case damage to happen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jazz

Reaction score
That's definitely something I'm going to investigate when I split it open. At this point I know I'm replacing the rear output shaft bearings and seal- but I might need a whole new rebuild kit depending on what I find. I know I'm ok to replace those 2 parts, but an entire kit.. might do it, might take it to the shop. We'll see how the pump housing looks when I crack it open.

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the pump rub problem can vary pretty widely based on mileage. I have 1998 2 door with about 260k miles. A year ago I pulled the transfer case apart when the transmission was down for repair. There was evidence of pump rub inside the case but it wasn't too bad. I installed an upgraded part to insure the rub issue wouldn't continue further. I guess the only way to know for sure is to drop the case and take a look inside. It's not an overly complex procedure. A good pair of large snap ring pliers with paddle style ends is a must.

RicanGM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the pump rub problem can vary pretty widely based on mileage. I have 1998 2 door with about 260k miles.

at 260 miles and very little wear, that sounds good, that means I should have some time to get mine check out.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11