Transfer case interchange

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1998-2000 obs for matched functionality. you likely have the auto-trac t-case nv246. any nv246 off of any gm will do.

I know this is an old thread but I just bought a np246 transfer case turns out it's the 2003 and up. It has a slime drive encoder motor, will it still work with my truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not just any 246 will work, has to be 1998-2000 otherwise IT WILL NOT WORK! One has the spline drive encoder motor (2000+) and the other has the oval kinda squarish drive on it. So no, not ANY nv246 from ANY GM will work. Trust me, I’ve learned from experience.

Mattsta2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not just any 246 will work, has to be 1998-2000 otherwise IT WILL NOT WORK! One has the spline drive encoder motor (2000+) and the other has the oval kinda squarish drive on it. So no, not ANY nv246 from ANY GM will work. Trust me, I’ve learned from experience.

Hey, im new here, and looking for some help please! It sounds like you have been down the road that I am currently traveling!! I pulled a transmission and transfer case out of an 03 suburban to put in my 03 z71 - every thing appeared to be identical, until I got to the encoder harness.... my truck has the 7 pin plug, and splined shaft, while the other is a 4pin with another plug on the back and the 'oval" shaft! Any way around this?!? Do they make a 7 pin encoder with the oval shaft? IM LOST! THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP!!

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, im new here, and looking for some help please! It sounds like you have been down the road that I am currently traveling!! I pulled a transmission and transfer case out of an 03 suburban to put in my 03 z71 - every thing appeared to be identical, until I got to the encoder harness.... my truck has the 7 pin plug, and splined shaft, while the other is a 4pin with another plug on the back and the 'oval" shaft! Any way around this?!? Do they make a 7 pin encoder with the oval shaft? IM LOST! THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP!!

Sorry bro, no way around it that I know of, you’ll have to get the right one, the tc you have is for the earlier model np246 tc

Mattsta2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry bro, no way around it that I know of, you’ll have to get the right one, the tc you have is for the earlier model np246 tc

Damnit. Story of my life! Thanks for the quick response! Appreciate the help!