Transfer Case Info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ilmk123

Reaction score
Hi everyone ! I am having trouble with my transfer case and looking for some information.
I have an 05 2500 8.1 with 410 gears. I am wonder what model of transfer case is in this vehicle?
The tag is missing off of it. I am thinking it is a NP 263 HD....but not for sure..Does anybody know what is in it Does anybody know what RPO code I would be looking for? Thank you! Scott

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is from the GM trucks forum

If you have RPO code "NP1" you have the NP263 transfer case.

If you have RPO code "NP8" you have the NVG246 transfer case.

You can also look on the metal ID tag on the transfer case itself. < in your case missing

OP
OP
ilmk123

ilmk123

Reaction score

You can also look on the metal ID tag on the transfer case itself. < in your case missing

Thank you! We think it does have the NVG 246 in it .

6speedblazer

Reaction score

good info

OP
OP
ilmk123

ilmk123

Reaction score
Just a update...I finally got around to working on my transfer case problem. .Sometimes I am my own worse enemy! It ended up being a simple fix. I replaced the shifter motor. The encoder in it must have went bad and the encoder never knew exactly where to move the shifting forks. The whining noises are gone and everything is working the way it should .