Transfer case fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did mine I replaced it. In a pinch you can just use a good petroleum resistant rtv.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

novemberr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another question I had for the rear diff, do I need to replace the gasket? I plan to take the whole cover off. The truck has about 114k miles on it. Not sure if the previous owner changed the fluids on the diffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just did front/rear diff fluid change with amsoil 75w-90 on 2012 yukon denali awd. The gasket is reusable and I reused it. No leaking so far (knocking wood). Don't know why I refilled more than 5 qts while people said 4 qts are enough for front/rear.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07 4x4...

Used new felpro gasket for rear diff, covered with a thin, partially tacky layer of black RTV
Valvoline 80w-90 in front
Mobil 1 75w-90 with LS in rear

Dexron IV for AWD
Auto trak II for 4x4 (<---- mine)

My transfer case took 2+ quarts

OP
OP
F

farhanm

Reaction score
Ok, i was pretty certain after these discussions that I needed Auto trak II for the transfer case.

But just got off the phone with the local dealer and based on the VIN for my car, he said transfer case fluid will be DEXRON VI

OP
OP
F

farhanm

Reaction score
Confirmed from another dealer, and yup all say Dexron VI, guess that Auto trak II I ordered off amazon will need to be returned.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, i was pretty certain after these discussions that I needed Auto trak II for the transfer case.

But just got off the phone with the local dealer and based on the VIN for my car, he said transfer case fluid will be DEXRON VI

Check your owners manual. It will tell you. Basically selectible (4Hi-4Lo) t-cases need Auto-Trak II. The AWD cases use Dexron VI.

OP
OP
F

farhanm

Reaction score
Well the manual also says Dexron VI. But I have the selectable dial selector.

So that's what's confusing me.

Here's what's the manual says and a picture of the switch.

e06288e490c26cece14e60429a6af699.jpg
484282e5901542521b1a5cac9786f4f4.jpg

Again, I may have misunderstood, but Auto trak II was for the this type of selectable switch and Dexron vi was for AWD with no switch.

Thanks
--
Farhan

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My avalanche and my dads 2012 took Dexron VI.

FWIW, what I drained out of both trucks at 50k miles was red. Auto trak II is blue IIRC

Also, Ive heard that its not good to use synthetic in the front diff, not sure how true it is but I used conventional in mine.

OP
OP
F

farhanm

Reaction score
That's a good point, since I already have some Dexron VI available after the trans fluid change, and now also have the Auto trak II as well,

I'll check what color drains out. If it's reddish I'll refill with Dexron VI, if it's blueish I'll go with Auto trak II

Although I am now swaying more and more towards Dexron VI

OP
OP
F

farhanm

Reaction score
I read about the regular oil in front diff aswell, but some people had suggested synthetic should work aswell.

Although the manual says to use regular 80W-90 on 1500 series trucks and 75w-90 on 2500 series trucks

acbbee122a80314bc1671ffad19cac02.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeG1302