Trans Leaking out the front. 04 Yukon XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blown240

Reaction score
I just got back from SEMA, and there is a HUGE puddle of trans fluid under my XL. Like the size of a trash can lid, and running...

Its either leaking from between the bellhousing and the trans, or the pan. I assume its the front seal, or converter.

Also, Ive noticed lately that when it downshifts to first, there is a clunk, not a huge clunk, but still a clunk.

It has about 131k on it.

Should I even bother trying to fix this trans, or just put a new one in? Should I do a rear main while I'm in there?

OP
OP
blown240

blown240

Reaction score
I got a quote from Art Carr, its $2300 for a rebuild with an upgraded 3/4, a hardened shell, and a shift kit....

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the front seal walked forward but that issue hasnt been a problem for many years. The bushing that the torque converter rides in may have gotten worn enough to wiggle which will cause the torque converter to take out the front tranny seal.

OP
OP
blown240

blown240

Reaction score
Thanks for the link!

The quote I got includes installation. I'm not sure I want to pull a trans on my angled driveway.....

OP
OP
blown240

blown240

Reaction score
I had the truck towed to a trans shop yesterday.

They are putting in a rebuilt trans, with an upgraded 3/4 shift pack, a hardened shell, and I'm having them do a rear main seal. Total is $1400 with a 2 year warranty. The place get great yelp reviews. They said it should be done on Friday or Saturday.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transmissions are never fun. I went through quite the rollercoaster with mine. You got to go to SEMA?! I’m so jealous! I stayed at my best friends parents house while they were out at SEMA las week. I wanna go so bad one of the set days!

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the truck towed to a trans shop yesterday.

They are putting in a rebuilt trans, with an upgraded 3/4 shift pack, a hardened shell, and I'm having them do a rear main seal. Total is $1400 with a 2 year warranty. The place get great yelp reviews. They said it should be done on Friday or Saturday.

Sounds like a good deal. My rebuilt/upgraded 60e just broke the front pump and i lost all forward gears. Second time Ive pulled it in a year or so. Not thrilled about that.

OP
OP
blown240

blown240

Reaction score
I got my truck back last Friday, and drive it all weekend. All seems well now with the trans!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe1844