Trans Cooler Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gun Runner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did the bracket that you used to mount it come with the Tru-Cool or is it something you fabricated yourself or purchased separately? I watched a video posted by etrailer and they installed a different brand cooler on an 09 Yukon. They ran both hoses into the engine compartment and pulled the hard line just below the radiator overflow line and connected one hose from the cooler to the hard line and the other hose, they put a barbed fitting into the hose and installed the hose into the port on the radiator. Is this how you installed your? I have a 14 Suburban and need to add a trans cooler to it and want to do the Tru-Cool 40K.

OP
OP
T

Tractoman

Reaction score
@Tractoman where did you run the lines? I installed one in my 04' Silverado but followed a write up to use factory lines. Haven't seen much for GMT900s w/o lines. Thanks!
I ran the lines straight down through the plastic bracket. Notched the foam that fills the bracket (and in my case stuck to the bumper cover) a little so as not to pinch the lines. Went down and under the structural bumper (impact bar) and up to connect to the hard line at the top of radiator. Can't see much of the lines once the cover is back on.

OP
OP
T

Tractoman

Reaction score
Did the bracket that you used to mount it come with the Tru-Cool or is it something you fabricated yourself or purchased separately? I watched a video posted by etrailer and they installed a different brand cooler on an 09 Yukon. They ran both hoses into the engine compartment and pulled the hard line just below the radiator overflow line and connected one hose from the cooler to the hard line and the other hose, they put a barbed fitting into the hose and installed the hose into the port on the radiator. Is this how you installed your? I have a 14 Suburban and need to add a trans cooler to it and want to do the Tru-Cool 40K.
I used an EAD Performance bracket. You can Google them. It fits very well and solid. You could make something fit bit I wanted to get in and get out. Other than the tru cool and bracket i bought some good clamps and an extra section of trans cooler hose. I had no cooler previously so no hard lines of front.

Drewskiii

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nice setup.. this is what i needed to install right away to my truck here in vegas.. with the small upgrade that i did with my truck i be seeing my trans temp at 200*F..

Royalwapiti

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I installed a similar model on a Trailblazer. 2 years later one of the hose clamps let loose, blew fluid out when doing 75 on interstate 40 in the desert of AZ and NM border. I noticed a fog behind me, didn't know what it was. Then truck lost power. I slipped it into neutral and coasted to a stop at the entrance to the Rest Area in NM. Truck wouldn't move. Had to call a service company. They initially brought me 5 qts of tranny fluid and clamp. I got lucky I didn't cook the tranny. It started right up and worked fine. $251 for delivering me that stuff....

Check the clamps periodically and make sure they are quality made stainless.

OP
OP
T

Tractoman

Reaction score
Nice setup.. this is what i needed to install right away to my truck here in vegas.. with the small upgrade that i did with my truck i be seeing my trans temp at 200*F..
I just came back from Palm Springs this weekend. Trans temp never got above 170* going 70-75 in 105 degree heat over the grapevine. The entire run up the 5 in 105 degrees it sat about 148* most of the 400 mile trip doing about 75-80. Well worth it.

riggz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just in case anyone reading this wants to do this mod. I ordered the Tru-Cool Max LPD47391 kit from Amazon. I didnt notice the brackets until today (install day). I was not able to locate this EAD Performance bracket mentioned by the OP except on another forum by a user taking payments via PayPal. I needed this installed before Monday. So I ended up having to notch out the lower L bar for the trans cooler brackets that is right in line with the bottom of the cooler in the first picture. Used the supplied mounting brackets for the top. I also had to pick up a few nuts bolts & washers to properly secure it.

I also missed the part about needing to buy extra hose. The supplied hose the kit comes with is 23/64" I.D. AutoZone did not stock this so I had to buy some 3/8" I.D. fuel injection hose. It was similar in thickness and rigidness. If you follow etrailer's youtube video for installation on a 2009 Yukon you will need to buy the Derale D13035 adapter to connect the hose to the radiator. If you want to cut the factory rubber hose between the hard lines you could buy a couple double male hose barbs and clamps. I didnt feel comfortable doing this as I wasn't sure what size the hose was and didn't want to risk messing up that part as it is permanently attached to the hard lines.

I also mounted mine with the connections pointing up. I'm not sure if this really matters as the first two tubes are larger and will flow the fluid is cold. As it heard up it will thin out and flow through the remaining smaller diameter tubes.

Total time actually doing the install was about 1.5 hours (not counting the trips to the hardware store and AutoZone). Spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out how to fabricate a mount. I also had my brother in law helping. Then we installed the same kit on his 2008 Tahoe which took about an hour since we new what we were doing.

Ran both hoses to where they will make the connections to the factory hose. The Derale adapters should be here on Monday so we will get the install finished Monday night.

cycho

Reaction score
Installed a Tru-Cool 40k trans cooler this morning. Even though I have the tow package, no trans cooler included. Thanks GM. Anyway, all done, no leaks and way cooler trans temps now.
2009 yukon xl.

View attachment 81058
Thanks, just installed the drop hitch, tomorrow I'll wire up the brake controller. Will pull the 20 foot enclosed trailer this week end. It isn't really that hot yet. But I do plan to install the transmission cooler before summer. Today I looked and didn't see how it was possible, but now I know. In front of the brace...duh!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aray1288