Trans acting weird

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

FinalBreath05

Reaction score
Still having an issue. Trans is just acting funny. When ever I go from a gear like R to D or D to P the engine will rev up for a moment and come back down. Also seems like the shifts arent at the right times

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the work truck, a 3500 with a 80e had this issue too, would try to stall in drive, and would stall when put in reverse. it had no stall speed left, like it was 1.1 rpm to gear off the line, ran hot all the time. turned out to have a shot torque converter, that ended up shooting metal all through the tranny. aka rebuild time.

my regal did the same thing, only it only did this for about 3 days, then it just locked up. even in park the tc was holding the engine rpm's way to low, cranking it to start it was almost like the battery was dead. being i swapped that tranny i got to see all the metal in my pan. and there was a lot.

all that being said, id do a pan drop before spending the money on a full flush. see whats in there. could be a load of clutch material or shavings, id even bust open the filter. they hold lots of secrets.

rule of thumb when dealing with a trans is, a fluid change is not going to fix a damn thing if its already acting odd. damage is already done.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what was in my regals pan. didnt open the filter. it was scrap being it locked up on me.

top ritht of the pan was where i drained it from. all the metal on the gasket and in the pan. note the magnets are fuking clean.

002.JPG 001.JPG

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not really sure. being its not stuck all over the magnet it must be al. for all i know the diff blew its pin and ate the case up in the tail. i was past caring, i knew it was really messed up and i alone was not fixing it, needed a new one.

i only pulled the pan to drain it. i bought a full rebuilt unit off the grand prix forum, guy had built 4 or 5 already with a good track record. got it shipped with a tc for 1400. its a semi built tranny. all the goodies but the expensive hard parts. you know, input shaft and chain and sprockets. adding those would have jacked the bill up anther grand.

what its got and whats done. full rebuild. not that trans shop BS where they find and fix whats broken and then re use all your old parts and call it a rebuild. yeah that happens every day everywhere.

Rebuild parts include:
New frictions
New steels
New seals (stretched/shrunk teflons, NOT scarf cut)
New drive sprocket bearing
New solenoids (4x)
New manifold pressure switch
New washers
New Filter
New Forward Apply Band
New molded 2nd apply piston
New molded 3rd apply piston
New lube dam
All new bushings (not just the common ones)
Trans-go shift kit
Superior valve body kit
Superior AFL valve kit
Lube tube retainer
Hardened 4th clutch shaft
Inspected bearings (replace any bad ones)
Reconditioned input clutch piston (TEP)
Reconditioned reaction carrier w/ steel washers (TEP)
Bonded separator plate
Torlon check balls
Input clutch upgrade (10pc.)
Rebuild procedure includes:
Checked and adjusted final drive end play
Checked and adjusted transaxle end play
Complete disassembly and cleaning of valve body
Modified separator plate for better shift
Modified clutch stack for better shift
Inspected and tested internal wiring harness

if you got this far, same guy is now rebuilding 60e's for rwd cars trucks.

same guys got a s-10 with a 6.0 and a 80e he rebuilt.

some how this chick got her hands on it, he handed over the keys, she flogged on it and reviewed it lol thing has literally cost him nothing but his time. very little out of pocket.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a Dakota 5.9 R/T that I slightly built and it was stupid. Too much power, no way to control it and it stopped like shit. I rear-ended 2 cars in the rain plus did 360's across 4 lanes of an interstate in the rain. It came with a solid diff for some reason so when you lost traction it would just snap into 360's. I must have done that a dozen times unintentionally. I could drift on the freeway with it. Doing that to an S-10 would be even less attractive to me unless it was just for racing. I'd give it away too before I killed myself in it lol.