Tranny leak on cold start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ESTEBAN69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the tranny on my 97 Tahoe dumps a cup to a pint of tranny fluid on the first start of the day. Doesn't leak when parked, even when parked for multiple days. Doesn't leak when hot. Doesn't leak when hot stopped or hot started. Only during that first cold start of the day. I'm stumped. Anyone else seen this symptom?

OP
OP
E

ESTEBAN69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Where is the leak coming from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From the bell housing weephole. It only leaks on the morning cold start. Doesn't leak just sitting there, even for 7-10 days. Doesn't leak when hot. Doesn't leak on a hot start, even after an hour wait.

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it leak on every cold start, even if you do not add to it to make it full again in between?
First thought was it could be overfull and pumping out the vent, then when it warms up and you top it off and repeat the cycle? Wrong/aftermarket dipstick?

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it leaking at the inspection plate near the oil filter?

1d0a845dc1adbcc06816317df64471d2.jpg

Could be the front seal. If you have someone pull it to repair whatever it is, it'd probably be a good time to have the rear main seal done as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

ESTEBAN69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great suggestion! Thanks!!
Does it leak on every cold start, even if you do not add to it to make it full again in between?
First thought was it could be overfull and pumping out the vent, then when it warms up and you top it off and repeat the cycle? Wrong/aftermarket dipstick?

OP
OP
E

ESTEBAN69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I was really hoping that it was that simple a fix, but not so. Continued to dump a cup/pint out the bell housing weep hole on each cold start until it got to a level that it started slipping. Wrong dipstick is ruled out as the problem.

The mystery to me is why just on cold start? Why isn't it dripping when sitting for days? Why doesn't it drip when running? Why doesn't it drip when hot started? There's a clue to the cause somewhere in these questions. I'm just too dumb to see it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts