Tranny Fluid - 07 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to change out my fluid and wondered if you all had any suggestions regarding fluid, Valvoline, Castrol,etc. Also, any thoughts on adding Lubeguard to the change?

The vehicle has 230,300 on it and the fluid has been changed 3 times by a trans shop I use so I am not sure what fluid they used.

Thanks for any feedback.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
I use Castrol because it's usually 1 dollar off or goes on sale often. Your truck is Dex 6 and you'll need 5 quarts and they run 7-10 bucks each. I used to use royal purple but that's really expensive.

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Castrol because it's usually 1 dollar off or goes on sale often. Your truck is Dex 6 and you'll need 5 quarts and they run 7-10 bucks each. I used to use royal purple but that's really expensive.
Ian -Thanks for the info. I'll look at castrol and price.

Did you notice a difference using Royal Purple? I always wondered if it was worth the price difference?

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Ian -Thanks for the info. I'll look at castrol and price.

Did you notice a difference using Royal Purple? I always wondered if it was worth the price difference?

Honestly no. Other than the fact you know how much you spent. As long as you keep the fluid level correct you'll be fine.
Also have you considered installing a pan with a drain plug on it? I would drain and refill the trans every 30kish and every 60kish replace the trans filter.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is all tranny fluid is the same, they all go through serious inspection and should function the same. I used Valvoline during my flush and tranny has treated me well 25k miles later. the 30k/60k service i heard is for tahoe's that go through serious use whether towes or the people that drive hard. I was given the impression if you drive it normally and do a descent amount of cruising/highway driving, you can extend that interval.

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have any of you guys used Lubeguard in your ATF changes? I saw a post over on 'Bob's The Oil Guy' site reagrding its use and several posters spoke highly of it?

domoarigato

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had great luck with schaeffer transmission fluid, used in a lot of PPV units.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne