TPMS reprogramming tip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rogersinsel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For 07' & up--FYI--You don't have to go to a dealership to reprogram your tire pressure monitors. I bought TPM's and sent to Centerline to install on my wheel and tire package for my 09' Tahoe. The instructions are in the owner's manual--very simple. 1) Set parking brake-2) Turn ignition on w/o starting-3) Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on your remote at the same time until horn chirps twice-4) Start at driver's front tire, let out air until horn chirps-5) Repeat on passenger front--then passenger rear--driver's rear. On the driver's rear the horn will chirp twice. Programming complete. No hassle or CHARGE from the dealership.

10 dollars at my local GMC dealer. That includes tire rotation and TPMS reset.

mcislak

Reaction score
Tried this tonight. If I forgot to set emergency brake would that make it not work

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck is pretty good at funding the sensors. If the horn honked and lights flashed it worked. The light on each corner of the truck will let you know where it's at with programming. If it won't pass a certain on that's your bad sensor. You mentioned you got a new sensor. To wake a sleeping sensor you can fill the tire to like 55 psi and then rapidly release air to like 20-30 psi. B it's very common for sensors to fail or just not be compatible. It's a sensitive little thing. Park brake on or not should not have made a issue.

FamilyGuy

Reaction score
OK, so I ordered a new one, cuz one of my tpms wasn't reading the correct pressure. Now a different one isn't being read.
I tried the 55psi trick with no luck. Should I try removing the valve for faster air loss?
Did you figure out something else, Mcislak?

Thanks.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No just find something that will hold in the pin solidly and you should be fine.

FamilyGuy

Reaction score
After many tries, and methods, I couldn't get past the first tire. It would eventually just exit programming and an almost Flat tire.
I ended up going to Discount Tire and they programmed them right away with their little gadget.
Unfortunately, they told me the new eBay sensor I got was bad.

Pooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI this doesnt work on the 2012 models, not sure what the cutoff year is. It goes into relearn mode but doesnt ever pickup the change in pressure from any of the sensors. I ended up just going to discount and they rest them in 1min.

Just so no one else sits there letting air out of their tires for nothing, lol.

minytrker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I own several vehicles with TPMS and the tire places seem to always not reprogram them when they rotate them I just bought a tool to program them myslef. I bought a KTI-71990, its wasnt super cheap but worth every penny IMO.

NJ04HOE

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since I own several vehicles with TPMS and the tire places seem to always not reprogram them when they rotate them I just bought a tool to program them myslef. I bought a KTI-71990, its wasnt super cheap but worth every penny IMO.

Is it easy to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu