Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blizz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whats the most you have towed with your stock 2dr? What's the most you can conceivably tow? I have a '96 2dr with towing pkg and I have been eyeballing a travel trailer that has a dry weight of 4700lbs.

Last edited:

moviewithnotitle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4700 lbs is fine. I think they top out around 6000 lbs. It's not the towing as much as braking, adjust your distance accordingly. I tow a 5500 lbs boat/trailer 160mi each way 2-3 times a year. It's not a real problem. Mileage is horrible, and it's slow going, but I do just fine. With the short wheelbase of the 2dr, expect to get pushed around a little depending on the length of your trailer. My trailer setup is about 8 feet longer than they truck itself...ugh! Do yourself a favor and adjust the load so the tongue weight is 150-250(There is a ratio for this perfect weight, but I found this has always worked for me). It can get bouncy above 250. I also only tow in Drive "D". No O/D (Overdrive). If you drive in O/D, that amount of weight will cook the tranny fluid in short order on the highway, even with a tranny cooler.

OP
OP
blizz

blizz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would a weight distribution hitch and electric brakes solve some of those issues? It will probably be more like 6000lbs once it's all said and done.

gbsharon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I tow a 2200lb car trailer with a ~3300lb load so 5500lb total. Trailer is equipped with surge brakes. Never felt like I had any issue towing 100+ miles on Mass Pike (really hilly). Only issue was a front- end vibration but thats a car specific issue that I believed I solved.

OP
OP
blizz

blizz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's looking more like the dry weight will be about 5500. I read somewhere that 2dr tahoes can pull more because they're 1000lbs lighter than the 4 doors. If that's the case I should be fine with the towing pkg, electric brakes and weight distribution hitch.

OP
OP
blizz

blizz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm about to buy this trailer and am now worried about towing it. I'm hearing that it's a bad idea with the short wheel base. It's a 24ft 27 total with bumper and tongue and a dry weight of 5300 lbs. they are including electric brake control and weight dist hitch. I'm about to go sign for this thing and now I'm worried about this. Why oh why did I go reading the interwebs?!?!?!

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With electric brakes and a weight distribution hitch you will be fine. The weight distribution hitch will help contol some of that bounce that was mentioned if its setup correctly. And as braking you want the dial on the brake controller turned up so it feels like there is nothing behind you when you brake. If its too high you will hear the tires.on the trailer lock up and if its too low you will feel the trailer try to push you. 5-6k i would suggest adding an aux trans cooler. Nothing big or it will run too cold just a small basic one from local parts store.

gbsharon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i believe tow package trucks came with an aux transmission cooler. Mine has the tow package and has one that looks to be factory.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive seen some that didnt have it on anymore. It should be there if it has the tow package but if its not it should have one put on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins