Towing with the 2015 and up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fink117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own a 2007 suburban with 167k miles on the clock. Frames got surface rust in the rear from New England winters but its not rot. Over all the trucks in pretty good shape. Last year we bought a Coachmen Freedom Express 29SE (GVWR 7600). I never intended to tow with this truck but it does ok. The picture shows the truck with the weight distribution hitch and it rides pretty level. I have Z71 shocks and struts. with less than 8k miles on them.

In the next year or two ill probably be looking to upgrade to either a 2015+ Denali 2500 or a Yukon Denali XL. I'm wondering if any of you pull travel trailers around 30 feet long that weigh in loaded at about 7500-8000 lbs With the the 2015+ Yukon XL or Suburban. I wont be pulling this thing all the time which makes me lean towards the SUV over 3/4 ton for the ride. Bad back and knees from a work accident. Plus I have 3 kids 5,8, and 13.

2016-09-24 10.38.17 - Copy.jpg

fullofdayas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yeesh - that's gonna be a chore. what part of the country are you in? Rockies? Appalachia? Coast? It really depends on where you are and how often you are gonna be pulling your camper... I pulled a car trailer with my 15 5.3 one season (8k loaded) and it was not fun. Might want to look at a duramax or superduty.

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've not ever towed that much weight with any of my previous tahoes or suburban, so I can't speak to that. Unfortunately they no longer offer a 2500 in the Yukon xl/suburban platform, that would be much more ideal for this than towing with the 1500.

As for the 3/4 ton truck vs the SUV, well I have a diesel 3/4 ton currently and while it will easily tow more than I will ever hook to it, I'm looking forward to the improved ride and easier in and out of a Tahoe or suburban. This is the 8th 3/4 truck I've owned since 1998, a mix of gas and diesel in all three brands. They are nice and have tons of power but unless you are towing all the time, or unless you just want a diesel (that was me), they are overkill for most consumers. After paying more for diesel fuel, plus the increased costs of oil changes and fuel filter changes, along with getting within 1-2mpg of the unloaded fuel efficiency as the same truck with a gas engine.....we'll, you're not saving any money. The diesel will most definitely get better fuel mileage towing than the same truck with a gas engine, but again, how frequently are you towing? People on the net and at the dealer love to tell you how well the diesel trucks hold their value as compared to a a gasser, and they do have a higher trade/resale value than a comparably equipped gasser, but they had better, since they cost 8500-10k more (msrp) than a comparably equipped gas truck. You're paying more for it to begin with by a large margin.

Anyway, sorry for the off topic rant. If you're towing enough to need more than a 1500 sub/Yukon xl offers, you could try and find a 2500 suburban with the 6.0 v8 from one of the last years they offered it. They're not easy to find, but they're out there. The 6.0 is a very capable and reliable engine for what you would be doing.

mtocrs1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We pull our boat that is roughly #7500 lbs with our 15 Yukon. It has the tow package with the 3.42 gears and it does fine. Has enough power to go as fast as anyone would want. The longer wheelbase of the XL would be even better. Make sure to get one with the air suspension in back. It's nice.
I am really impressed with how well it pulls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Fink117

Fink117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll only be towing a few times during summers, so say towing less than 10% of the time. Also location wise would be the northeast, Maine, NH, maybe down to PA so very little mountain action. Cant really do long hauls with my back. I would love to have a diesel but I like doing my own maintenance and I'm not a diesel mechanic. Not totally closed to the idea of a 6.6l though.
The 3/4 tons just ride a little rougher and the pot holes in Mass are not getting any better.

I did think about the 2014 2500 suburban but after sitting in the the Denali's I unfortunately got hooked on the new trucks.

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll only be towing a few times during summers, so say towing less than 10% of the time. Also location wise would be the northeast, Maine, NH, maybe down to PA so very little mountain action. Cant really do long hauls with my back. I would love to have a diesel but I like doing my own maintenance and I'm not a diesel mechanic. Not totally closed to the idea of a 6.6l though.
The 3/4 tons just ride a little rougher and the pot holes in Mass are not getting any better.

I did think about the 2014 2500 suburban but after sitting in the the Denali's I unfortunately got hooked on the new trucks.

Unless you just want a diesel and don't mind the 3/4 ton ride characteristics that go with it, I'd stick to a suburban/Yukon xl with the 3.42 and max trailer package. I say that based on the little amount of time you will actually tow and also because of the comment you made about being hooked once you sat in the Denali. The most fully loaded Denali 2500 diesel is not going to feel the same inside and certainly won't drive anywhere near the same as a Yukon xl.

Josh61513

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you normally haul the camper with water? Most people don't, and that saves 400 lbs. every 50 gallons.

7,600 lb. GVWR is the MAX your trailer can weigh, fully loaded with water, bikes, food, gear etc. Unloaded it's probably closer to 5,000-5,500 lbs. I'm guessing you're more in the 6,500 lb. range for a typical trip. You'll find lots of 30 foot campers behind suburbans/yukon XLs at campgrounds. The longer wheelbase is a little safer and rides better than the Tahoes/Yukons. As others suggested make SURE you get the max tow package for the 3.42 gear ratio, air suspension, integrated brake controller, and higher legal tow capacity (~8,400 lbs.) and you should be fine. Adjust your spring bars such that the height from the ground to the top of the front fender is the same or just slightly lower hitched as it is unloaded, and the trailer is level to slightly downward. The 2015+ models normally need a greater drop-hitch than what is included in most weight distributing kits because the hitch is very high as it comes through the bumper. Budget $150 or so for one of those.

FWIW I tow a car trailer with my 2015 tahoe (max trailer package) fairly often and it does a great job (2,500 lbs. empty and as high as 8,000 lbs with a heavy truck or SUV). A suburban or yukon xl would only be better.

OP
OP
Fink117

Fink117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you normally haul the camper with water? Most people don't, and that saves 400 lbs. every 50 gallons.

7,600 lb. GVWR is the MAX your trailer can weigh, fully loaded with water, bikes, food, gear etc. Unloaded it's probably closer to 5,000-5,500 lbs. I'm guessing you're more in the 6,500 lb. range for a typical trip. You'll find lots of 30 foot campers behind suburbans/yukon XLs at campgrounds. The longer wheelbase is a little safer and rides better than the Tahoes/Yukons. As others suggested make SURE you get the max tow package for the 3.42 gear ratio, air suspension, integrated brake controller, and higher legal tow capacity (~8,400 lbs.) and you should be fine. Adjust your spring bars such that the height from the ground to the top of the front fender is the same or just slightly lower hitched as it is unloaded, and the trailer is level to slightly downward. The 2015+ models normally need a greater drop-hitch than what is included in most weight distributing kits because the hitch is very high as it comes through the bumper. Budget $150 or so for one of those.

FWIW I tow a car trailer with my 2015 tahoe (max trailer package) fairly often and it does a great job (2,500 lbs. empty and as high as 8,000 lbs with a heavy truck or SUV). A suburban or yukon xl would only be better.

Normaly tow with the tanks empty. The dry weight is 5368 lbs so yea with gear and baggage its probably 6500 lbs at the very most. Last year I did about 200 miles with it because we got it late season. Its got a really good Husky weight distribution hitch so there is not much sway. I am going to upgrade tires till I'm ready to buy to a LT for less bounce.

jimlucier

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Normaly tow with the tanks empty. The dry weight is 5368 lbs so yea with gear and baggage its probably 6500 lbs at the very most. Last year I did about 200 miles with it because we got it late season. Its got a really good Husky weight distribution hitch so there is not much sway. I am going to upgrade tires till I'm ready to buy to a LT for less bounce.
i toe a

I own a 2007 suburban with 167k miles on the clock. Frames got surface rust in the rear from New England winters but its not rot. Over all the trucks in pretty good shape. Last year we bought a Coachmen Freedom Express 29SE (GVWR 7600). I never intended to tow with this truck but it does ok. The picture shows the truck with the weight distribution hitch and it rides pretty level. I have Z71 shocks and struts. with less than 8k miles on them.

In the next year or two ill probably be looking to upgrade to either a 2015+ Denali 2500 or a Yukon Denali XL. I'm wondering if any of you pull travel trailers around 30 feet long that weigh in loaded at about 7500-8000 lbs With the the 2015+ Yukon XL or Suburban. I wont be pulling this thing all the time which makes me lean towards the SUV over 3/4 ton for the ride. Bad back and knees from a work accident. Plus I have 3 kids 5,8, and 13.

View attachment 81102
Two a 6000 of boat with

vinnyray

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 81102

Just curious when you say it "does ok" towing... was there something that made it more difficult? I'm looking at a similar camper and SUV setup. Trying to figure out which tows better, the pre 15 models tow or the 15+.

What rear is in your Suburban?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh