Towing with an SSV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your GVWR is the max your truck can weigh which would include tongue weight if towing. That's different than how much you can pull (GTWR). That sticker in your door jamb is specific to your truck with all options installed, so the more luxury items, the less weight available for cargo. You also want to make sure you do not overload the rear axle. It too has a rating which includes anything stored behind it in your truck.

With a 5,000+ dry weight, you'll be running close to the limits when all loaded up in both the tow vehicle and trailer, if not more.

While you can tow more than my XL, in doing the math, a 6,100lb fully loaded trailer, properly balanced, leaves little room inside my truck for cargo before running up against GVWR and GCWR (14,000lbs) numbers.

Took my truck to the CAT scales last week and she weighs 5,900lbs with almost a full tank of gas. I'll go back and re-weigh with all the people inside soon. 48.5% of that 5,900lbs was on the rear axle.

OP
OP
S

Schwartzint1

Reaction score
So weight of my vehicle + fuel + passengers + 540lb hitch weight must be under the 7300GVWR on the inside door placard. The manual is simply stating I can pull 8200lbs.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe yes but probably not. There's a lot more to it than just those numbers. Since the maximum weight of your truck is 7,300lbs and the maximum weight of what you can tow is 8,200lbs, that adds up to 15,500lbs but your Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) is 14,000lbs. In other words, just for starters, the weight of your truck and trailer fully loaded cannot exceed their individual maximums nor can they exceed the GCWR of 14,000lbs.

Playing with the numbers in my case I found that very little can go inside the truck, but I can load up the two travel trailers I was looking at. My adult sized children when added to what's already in the truck put us over the limit so we'd have to take two cars or break the law and overload the truck. Guess that 3/4-ton wasn't so bad an idea after all!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your Trailer also has maximums that require paying attention to. I've seen a trailer rated for 8000lbs for example but the axles were rated for 3500lbs each. That makes its Gross Vehicle Weight 7,000lbs. But wait, it gets better! The tires were only rated for 1,350lbs each! That's the real limit, the total the four tires could carry which was 5,400lbs. It's dry weight was somewhere around 5,000lbs so by the time one even partially filled the freshwater, grey and black tanks, they'd likely be over the limit before food, towels and clothes and everything else!

Ohh and back to the truck, we haven't even addressed loading the axles!

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
I've got the K5L and GU6 on my 2011 SSV. Tows with no problem. Largest load I've had in my trailer was about 3000lbs so far. I so with the trailer it's about 4400lbs. Trailer has a surge brake and can barely feel it behind me when stopping.

IMG_20171025_134424.jpg IMG_20171025_124323.jpg

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how can one tell your SSV has the options/codes K5L (HD towing, external trans cooler, external engine oil cooler, trailer brake) and GU6 which is a 3.42 rear axel?

Ron

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like my PPV could use a 3.42 instead of a 3.08 for many reasons. How big of a deal, and $ is that to deal with?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep