Towing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow a 24' Chaparral (7500 GVWR) on a trailer with no problems whatsoever.
Truck handles it nicely; never a concern.

TowinTahoe11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The wife and I are looking to purchase a travel trailer weighing 6,400 lbs within the next few months and wanted to know if anyone is towing a comparable trailer or boat etc. any issues with your towing experience? Did you do any mods like install transmission cooler, re gear etc to accommodate the trailer? I have a 2016 Tahoe Z71 with the 3.42 rear end and from what it looks like, no tranny cooler that I can see at quick glance. Any info is appreciated.
Do you have a 5.3 or a larger engine. I've got 4 years of expereince towing a similar tailer. A few important suggestions. First, if your dry starting weight is 6,400 you want to be careful to weigh it fully loaded with everything you'll be taking, then be sure you are only at 80% of your vehicles rated towing capacity. GM always overrates the towing capacity so this will give you the required 'wiggle room' for towing your rig. Second, purchase and install a load leveling bar system between your trailer and the tow hitch, this helps control some of the sway you'll feel as larger vehicles pass you. CAUTION: someone may want to talk you into an anti-sway bar. If you decide to do this be sure to get special instructions about how to drive with one installed. Third, be sure that your hitch is rated high enough for the weight of your trailer hooked up. My hitch weight capacity is 800lbs, careful to stayi well below that rating. Third, Have a qualified dealer install and adjust the height of a stinger hitch to be sure that your trailer rides level on the road, neither tipping up or town when connected. I have an LTZ 2009 Tahoe which has a load leveling package (air assisted shocks) check to see if you have this. Such a system does help the handling characteristics while towing. FYI, I just replaced the main compressor for this system ($550), but well worth it for the benefit towing. Finally, after overheating the transmission on one trip I had my mechanic install a larger transmissiosn cooler which I purchased as aftermarket online. It's been the best addition to my vehcile. The one GM installs just is not enough surface area to do the job on a long hill on hot days (over 90 degrees). Looking back I'd put one on before the first trip. It's taken me awhile to learn all of this from friends and experience. Hope it's helpful to you.

snaward

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The wife and I are looking to purchase a travel trailer weighing 6,400 lbs within the next few months and wanted to know if anyone is towing a comparable trailer or boat etc. any issues with your towing experience? Did you do any mods like install transmission cooler, re gear etc to accommodate the trailer? I have a 2016 Tahoe Z71 with the 3.42 rear end and from what it looks like, no tranny cooler that I can see at quick glance. Any info is appreciated.

Don't forget wind load. Boats are not a big deal, but a travel trailer is different. I towed a 28' trailer with a 5400 pound empty payload (~6500 loaded) using a yukon denali, 6.2L engine and 6-speed transmission with factory transmission cooler. The vehicle had the HP to haul the trailer with stuff and family with one issue. If the outside temp was above about 85 deg F, I could do 65 mph for about 2 hours before I would have to slow down because the transmission and engine temp would start climb. I was looking at getting a bigger transmission cooler (the factory one is not real big) or adding an oil cooler, but ended up trading for a diesel truck.

Tow ratings on vehicles by manufactures just means the frame, suspension, transmission can handle the weight, but DOES NOT take in to account that you want to be able to least drive near the speed limit to get to your destination. Get as much HP/torque as you can afford!

OP
OP
jake calvin

jake calvin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you have 3:08 or 3:42 gear ratio?
3.42 ratio currently but already got a quote to change both front and back to a 3.73...

Lastly,I'm buying/installing an aftermarket tranny cooler. This past weekend I just installed a K & N intake to help out a little...