Towing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jake calvin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The wife and I are looking to purchase a travel trailer weighing 6,400 lbs within the next few months and wanted to know if anyone is towing a comparable trailer or boat etc. any issues with your towing experience? Did you do any mods like install transmission cooler, re gear etc to accommodate the trailer? I have a 2016 Tahoe Z71 with the 3.42 rear end and from what it looks like, no tranny cooler that I can see at quick glance. Any info is appreciated.

Burby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to check at the thehulltruth.com or equivalent trailer/camper forum for feedback as they do tons of heavy trailering in those forums.

OP
OP
jake calvin

jake calvin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You might want to check at the thehulltruth.com or equivalent trailer/camper forum for feedback as they do tons of heavy trailering in those forums.
Right on thanks Burby I'll check that out.

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wife and I are looking to purchase a travel trailer weighing 6,400 lbs within the next few months and wanted to know if anyone is towing a comparable trailer or boat etc. any issues with your towing experience? Did you do any mods like install transmission cooler, re gear etc to accommodate the trailer? I have a 2016 Tahoe Z71 with the 3.42 rear end and from what it looks like, no tranny cooler that I can see at quick glance. Any info is appreciated.

A good resource to check the towing capacity of your setup is here:

With your 3.42 and assuming you are 4wd your rated to tow a max of 8,400lbs.

Is 6,400 lbs the manufacturers dry weight of the travel trailer, the current equipped curb weight, or the max gross weight of the trailer / axle limit?

We had a similar thread last month in the NBS section of the forum. Your numbers will be a little different, but the advice from those of us that use ours to tow travel trailers will apply to your 2016 just the same.

OP
OP
jake calvin

jake calvin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A good resource to check the towing capacity of your setup is here:

With your 3.42 and assuming you are 4wd your rated to tow a max of 8,400lbs.

Is 6,400 lbs the manufacturers dry weight of the travel trailer, the current equipped curb weight, or the max gross weight of the trailer / axle limit?

We had a similar thread last month in the NBS section of the forum. Your numbers will be a little different, but the advice from those of us that use ours to tow travel trailers will apply to your 2016 just the same.
Yes 6,400 lbs is the trailers "dry weight". And yes my Tahoe is 4x4. I'll also look at that thread, thanks for the help.

DennisT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some good info can be found on http://www.rv.net/

I towed a 36 ft travel trailer with my 2009 6.2L Tahoe with full trailer package. I was grossly overloaded, about 1600 lbs over the tow capacity and about 200 lbs over the rear axle load capacity. I only pulled it about 200 miles 2 times a year and couldn't justify a heavier truck for two times a year. I was pulling in Florida and it was on relatively level ground. I towed slow and easy because of being overloaded. Pay close attention to the load on the hitch and the load on the rear axle. With a tow capacity of 8400 lbs, a properly set up hitch will likely exceed your max tongue weight. Also, you will probably have a 1500 lb or so load capacity. The tongue weight gets subtracted from load capacity and what you are left with is for passengers, fuel and any other cargo. So if you have 800 to 900 lbs on the hitch you don't have much left for family.

You'll want to make sure you have a good transmission cooler and invest in a good load equalizing hitch with sway control. Also, the 6400 lb trailer will quickly go to 7400 lbs once you start loading it up with all of the stuff you'll need. And if you're boondocking don't forget the weight of the water tanks.

Good luck.

BK76

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you know what Trailer you are getting, i would suggest going on their Forums to ask around as well. Maybe someone there has a similar Vehicle and can let you know how it rides. I own a 2014 Jayco Jayflight 32RLDS and I am on the Jayco forums all the time. I pull it with a 2013 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel, so no worries on the 12,000lb trailer and cargo, but still got a lot of good info from the jayco forum.

Happy Trails!!

OP
OP
jake calvin

jake calvin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you know what Trailer you are getting, i would suggest going on their Forums to ask around as well. Maybe someone there has a similar Vehicle and can let you know how it rides. I own a 2014 Jayco Jayflight 32RLDS and I am on the Jayco forums all the time. I pull it with a 2013 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel, so no worries on the 12,000lb trailer and cargo, but still got a lot of good info from the jayco forum.

Happy Trails!!
Great idea I will do that.

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow a 7500# 26' Formula Boat with my '16 Yukon Max Tow 3.42 gear 2 Wheel Drive. I am set up with a 600# tongue weight and have no issues what so ever. The total package works very well. My previous vehicle that I used was a 6.0 LQ9 Escalade with 3.73 gears...surprisingly the Yukon does a better job !!

1979 255 Formula-2016 Yukon.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01