Towing advice needed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Benlack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Truck is a 99 5.7 4x4 with the Highway 3.42s i believe. It’s got trailer brakes and a weight dist hitch. I tug my little 19 foot cc around at the beach with zero issue. My buddy was gonna pull his 23 foot sea hunt down there this weekend until his super duty’s water pump just crapped out. Think the little Tahoe can handle 4000-4500 pounds of boat for a 150 miles to the beach and back? I’m comfortable with driving it I’m just scared of trans temps mainly especially on such a long drive. Not many hills either between raleigh and the coast of that means anything. Looking for input on other people who hve done anything similar.

B1FF088F-D85C-474E-A34A-22A4022645C4.jpeg

OP
OP
Benlack

Benlack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
One other thing i forgot to mention is it’s on 285/75/16 tires so that gears it out even longer. Thankful that it’s a flat drive.

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say in regards to tranny health, keep your highway speeds relatively tame, 55-60mph. The faster you go you'll generate more heat.

Other concerns would be handling and braking.

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
I'm sure there's the possibility of your 4x4 having 3.42s (options are selectable), but all of the 4x4s I've ever seen/heard of had 3.73 or higher gearing. 3.42 was typically the 2WD gearing on our trucks (OBS). Assuming the 3.73s, you've got more mechanical advantage than you thought.

That said, you should be fine towing that weight (Tahoe is rated to tow 5k with proper hitch). Flat land makes it better for you than hilly/mountainous regions. Tow in direct drive (3rd, not overdrive) and drive sensibly for towing a boat of that size (keep it under 65 with plenty of stopping distance in front of you).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17