TOW driver made my day even worse.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GIZZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So many issues now, 2009 suburban 2500 left me stranded yesterday.

It began when the brakes began to lock up, I did some parking lot diag before deciding to call for a tow. I pulled the 2 abs fuses and the stabilitrak fuse. Within 1.3 mile((2.1 kms)I know cuz I walked to get my other car) It got to the point where I hammered the gas and the rear would start to spin as if had line locks. I figured maybe a master cyl issue?

So I decide to call for a tow, 2.5 hour wait. Once hooked up and I say "you better dolly it". He says "no, it's fine". I asked him again and he said no. It's a 10.6 mile(17.1 kms) trip, we leave at the same time, I lose him in traffic but he still shows up about a half hour late!? On dollies! I asked him how far he drove before he had to stop. He said he couldn't make it easily up the bridge but stopped once off the bridge. I checked google maps, depending on where he stopped, knowing the road I bet he drove 6 miles(9.6 kms).

My truck now smells burnt. The stock wheel caps with the plastic lug nuts caps heated up pretty good. Both sides came off, the one will not go back on. He told me to put a claim in. Okay I can deal with fixing brakes, but I'll be pretty upset if the trans/transfer case now have issues. I popped the 3 fuses back it, hooked it to my scan tool before driving and all sorts of trans codes, not sure if history or new. I'm reading in the manual where it says to tow with all wheels up, can anybody comment on this?

I'm about to go drive it and test the 4wd, and also the brakes. Also planning my call in to complain. Beyond warping my rotors and hurting my 4wd center caps, do you think he did any driveline damage?

I trusted the professional driver but still took this just in case. I really wish I insisted on dollies.

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better change out those wheel bearings as well. They're known to go bad shortly after people have break issues that cause excessive heat, as it burns up the grease and they're not serviceable.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should have put the transfer case in neutral and towed it flat or put it on a flatbed. I always insist on a flatbed with my other vehicles and send them away if they show up without one. The drivers really aren't professionals anymore, least not around my parts.

What was the original problem?

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should have put the transfer case in neutral and towed it flat or put it on a flatbed. I always insist on a flatbed with my other vehicles and send them away if they show up without one. The drivers really aren't professionals anymore, least not around my parts.

You should read this thread twice, my sentiments exactly. Outdated wreckers are obsolete, I call them FEE GRABBERS. :2cents:

David g...........:)

OP
OP
G

GIZZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, I think you have basis for complaint. Is your truck four wheel drive or all wheel drive just wondering.

I emailed the tow company, awaiting a response. The suburban is 4wd.

I'll have to agree with you on this one, this guy was not a pro. I've had AA forever mainly for home insurance so the car roadside is included. I remember about 10 yrs ago when I had to tow my Grand National, I insisted on a flatdeck. A woman driver came, she wouldn't stop talking about how this doesn't require a flatdeck and to never do that again. My Buick is slammed, dollies had just dented up my other cars headers there was no way that was going to happen again.

The orig issue is the brakes locked up after a few blocks, slowly started grabbing until I was doing a brake stand.

You should read this thread twice, my sentiments exactly. Outdated wreckers are obsolete, I call them FEE GRABBERS. :2cents:

David g...........:)

I should have insisted, I see damaged cars get towed into the shop every couple of months.

I checked for damage this afternoon, 4wd appears to be working but I didnt go driving all over. There may be some louder bearing noise now, I really need to get these brakes figured out before an extended drive. ABS sensor wires a little melted, grease on the sensor head too, this came out of the bearing?

And for the original problem, front and rear start to grab as I drive up and down my street. I cracked the left front caliper bleeder then they all free up. I pulled the master cylinder after alot of struggle, I actually had to jack up under the master to free it. I have a parts truck and that one came off without a fight. Check out this vid, I pour brake fluid into the master and it steams right out the bottom. I've never seen this before, is this normal for oe gm part?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne