Torsion key question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

memphizhoe

Reaction score
Just a quick question. Is it normal for one torsion bar adjustment bolt to tighter than the other ? ( bolt length showing ) . Just put all my stock stuff back on and the driver side sets a tab bit lower than the passenger side does. The pass side is a 36” and the driver side is at about 35 1/2 ish . I still have room for adjustment on the driver side. Should I just torque on it to get it level or what ? Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mechanic421

06 Denali XL
Reaction score
Look at your rebound bumper on upper controlarm if they are close I would lower the right side a half inch. If not close yes turn up left side. If it’s hard to turn jack up on frame to make it easier to turn. If you really want to get trick put weights in drivers seat to adjust ride height. And keep the weights there for the alignment.

OP
OP
memphizhoe

memphizhoe

Reaction score
Look at your rebound bumper on upper controlarm if they are close I would lower the right side a half inch. If not close yes turn up left side. If it’s hard to turn jack up on frame to make it easier to turn. If you really want to get trick put weights in drivers seat to adjust ride height. And keep the weights there for the alignment.

I appreciate the feedback man !!

OP
OP
memphizhoe

memphizhoe

Reaction score

Man I think I got something wrong lol. I did get the truck level from side to side in the front. My only issue is the driver side adjustment bolt is maxed out and he he passenger side is almost all the way down lmao. Man my luck. Oh and the passenger side is real spongy verse the driver side.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Man I think I got something wrong lol. I did get the truck level from side to side in the front. My only issue is the driver side adjustment bolt is maxed out and he he passenger side is almost all the way down lmao. Man my luck. Oh and the passenger side is real spongy verse the driver side.

It is normal for the two sides to be different. Both with the bolts and with the normal Chevy lean (drivers side lower). Sounds like yours are pretty drastic, though. Is double check errthang first.

OP
OP
memphizhoe

memphizhoe

Reaction score
It is normal for the two sides to be different. Both with the bolts and with the normal Chevy lean (drivers side lower). Sounds like yours are pretty drastic, though. Is double check errthang first.

I’m gonna give the double check tomorrow and if I can’t figure it out I’m just gonna take to the local “ lift kit place “ and bite the bullet and have them do something on it.

05alive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More than likely one bar is sagged out. It's an old truck. You can find a set of junkyard bars and install those, or deal with uneven key bolt lengths. It's not going to be very apparent.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the passenger side is real spongy verse the driver side.

You have done all that you can do given the original parts. The bars need to be replaced but having it repaired professionally will be a total rip off, I assume. You would save a lot of money sourcing 1 or 2 torsion bars yourself. I can't even imagine what the markup would be on the itemized bill received from the repair shop and that's really not the direction to go concerning this matter. It's your money but it simply isn't economical for what it is. At the very least, ask for an estimate before dropping the truck off and just letting them have at it.

06_2WD_Z71

Reaction score
My truck has 190k miles, and the driver's side bar has always needed more turns to get the vehicle level. I have 3" spindles and wanted a bit more lift. Ended up putting a key on just the driver's side as it is not needed on the passenger side.

Keep in mind that a worn or weak rear spring on one side can cause or contribute to this as well.

My front suspension works and feels perfectly fine, and has not needed adjustment other than when I was changing the height. If one side keeps dropping and you are having to periodically increase tension to keep it level, then I would replace the bars or rear springs as needed. Otherwise I would not worry about it.

OP
OP
memphizhoe

memphizhoe

Reaction score
My truck has 190k miles, and the driver's side bar has always needed more turns to get the vehicle level. I have 3" spindles and wanted a bit more lift. Ended up putting a key on just the driver's side as it is not needed on the passenger side.

Keep in mind that a worn or weak rear spring on one side can cause or contribute to this as well.

My front suspension works and feels perfectly fine, and has not needed adjustment other than when I was changing the height. If one side keeps dropping and you are having to periodically increase tension to keep it level, then I would replace the bars or rear springs as needed. Otherwise I would not worry about it.

I’ve decide to save a lil money and convert it to coil overs and throw the bars in the garbage lmao.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic