Torsion bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have 3 inch lift keys on my Tahoe and I've noticed that it leans to the drivers side and the bolt still stuck out about 1/2"-3/4" so I decided to crank it a bit to level it back out so it didn't lean but I would crank it then let it back down off the jack and it wouldn't look any different so I ended up cranking it all the way in and it only ended up lifting it 1/4" and still slightly leans to the drivers side. What would I need to do to fix that? Do I need new torsion bars?

MadDogDelpho

Texcellent
Reaction score
I think it might be torsion bars, unfortunately. Aftermarket ones are expensive, and stock ones are surprisingly hard to find, at least from what I've heard.

the04project

Reaction score
Yeah unfortunately it does kind of sound as though your torsion bars are worn out. But before throwing them out and spending the money I had to cut out my bump stops for my control arms for adjustment of torsion bars to get more lift and to level out both sides. I didn't do this myself and just automatically jump to the conclusion. I had a shop do it and the guy who did it has been in the business for at least 20 years if not more. He's done more trucks than you could imagine I trust his opinion and that's what he did to mine. Even if the torsion bars are trashed like MadDogDelpho said they are very expensive but if you have a junkyard around you I'd try to see if they had some decent there. Also get a professional to check out your torsion bars. I'd rather do that and save money and time if they are not bad

OP
OP
02_Tahoe

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah unfortunately it does kind of sound as though your torsion bars are worn out. But before throwing them out and spending the money I had to cut out my bump stops for my control arms for adjustment of torsion bars to get more lift and to level out both sides. I didn't do this myself and just automatically jump to the conclusion. I had a shop do it and the guy who did it has been in the business for at least 20 years if not more. He's done more trucks than you could imagine I trust his opinion and that's what he did to mine. Even if the torsion bars are trashed like MadDogDelpho said they are very expensive but if you have a junkyard around you I'd try to see if they had some decent there. Also get a professional to check out your torsion bars. I'd rather do that and save money and time if they are not bad
The bump stops might be it because they didn't move at all when I was cranking it and even if they are worn they should move a little right?

Cattivo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the tbars, just an fyi... you would most likely need to hit them with a torch to replace them, that's what I had to do to mine when I leveled it (HUGE PIA)

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
There is a guy that has posted here previously with a Coil-over change for our trucks. If I ever have to replace my T-Bars, that's the way I'm going to go.

the04project

Reaction score
The bump stops might be it because they didn't move at all when I was cranking it and even if they are worn they should move a little right?
Yeah I would think so even if they were complete trash but against those bump stops its not gonna lift at all once you're up against them.

OP
OP
02_Tahoe

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the tbars, just an fyi... you would most likely need to hit them with a torch to replace them, that's what I had to do to mine when I leveled it (HUGE PIA)
They should come out okay. The new lift keys were put on 3 months ago

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons