Torsion Bar tech 101

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by bowtiefreak, Oct 19, 2011.

1. bowtiefreak

bowtiefreak No Quarter Supporting Member

Name:
    Kris
    technically the bars should come right out but you may need to "tap" them out with a hammer. Once the bars have been safely unloaded and the keys are out you're good.

2. rican4lfe

rican4lfe Full Access Member

Name:
    AJ
    Thanks

3. Bodri

Bodri TYF Newbie

Name:
    Robert
    Oops?

First off I am a fairly low grade beginner at this stuff so please keep in mind. I just changed the keys on my daughters 98 Chvy 1500 4x4. Now, as I have found in other posts my front end bounces like crazy. While I have found others say that's what you get for going cheap, I haven't found what I need to do to fix it. Is just lowering the front back down a little the best? You state the tbars will "settle" in some, should I wait for that? I really don't want her driving it like this, doesn't seem very safe. She is a country girl teenager that had to have her truck lifted and I didn't have the money for suspension system. I did put 3 inch left keys in, but did not max them out. Gained about 2.5 inches in lift. I didn't replace shocks, MUST this be done as well? I didn't have this trouble when I did this for her other truck (99 model). Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

4. saif najd

saif najd Full Access Member

Name:
    Aziz
    So how cam I get good hight

5. Fixer

Fixer TYF Newbie

Name:
    Jim
    I realize this is an old thread and I'm new here, so I'll take what I can get. I just this evening started the process of replacing the upper and lower ball joints on a friends 99 4 door 4X4 Tahoe. My question has to do with skipping the first step in this tutorial, ( http://www.tribalvisiontruck.com/balljoints.htm ) which is unloading the pressure on the torsion bars. I only have the vehicle raised and the wheels are off, so I could go back to square one and start over. Would it be impossible to do the job if I continued and did not unload the torsion bars?

6. gettygatz4life

gettygatz4life Full Access Member

Name:
    troy
    So I can lower my 01 tahoe front 1" and leave the rear stock will that mes up my ride

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

7. nathanhanover

nathanhanover TYF Newbie

Name:
    jonathan
    Hi, I have a question related to your post. I have 3 of the 2 door Tahoes. I cut up a rusted out 1995 4 door for parts. I noticed right away the 4 door had swivel in the Key-crossbars on both ends. But found no details on their purpose. And yes the bars are 2 inches shorter at 52' they are also about a 1/8 inch thinner than my Stock 1994. I am restoring it and was wondering since there is enough room to re-drill and re- loacate my stock cross bar and put in the shorter torsion rods. Would it give me a heavier/stronger suspension being shorter? Or is it just a stupid idea?