Torsion Bar Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cooper30

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Here's the short version: Can I use GMT800 torsion bars on my 1998 4 door Tahoe 4x4?

Here's the long version:

I've been searching the web for over a week now and feel that I'm no smarter than I was when I started.

I have a '98 Tahoe 4x4 4-door. My goal is to completely rebuild the sagging, stock suspension. The truck is low miles, and considering where I live (Maine), the body is in decent shape and the frame is solid. I want to put about $3k into it and have a reliable truck that is much cheaper than getting one with a payment.

I've run into a problem sourcing torsion bars. I do not want to get ones from a salvage yard, but more and more it looks like I have no choice. I searched on car-part.com, looking at yards in the Southwest (no rust). When I got the search results, it included 2000-2006 Yukons, Tahoes, Escalades, Suburbans, and Avalanches.

Do the bars from that generation work in the old body style Tahoes? I know my original bars are a couple inches shorter than all the other half ton trucks out there of the same vintage....but will the bars from '00-'06 be a direct swap.

Anyway, thanks for your time. Sorry if this was addressed in a previous thread. I tried reading everything I've found, and to be quite honest, I'm going batty.

Edit for a couple typos...there's probably more...

Last edited:

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry I do not have answer for you, but where in Maine are you from?

I was living in Gorham before I enlisted 18 years ago

OP
OP
C

cooper30

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm currently in Windham, originally from Jackman.

Are you still active duty? I did 8 years USMC...88-96.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@cooper30

Yes, still active. I can drop my retirement papers next August.

I was up in Portland back in May.... I miss it up there, but the economy sucks for my skills sets

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne