TOO LOW FOR DD ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Must apologize in advance for my aggyness but I'm trying to get the best handle while not limiting the ability for the truck to be....a truck. Looking for people feedback if you are dropped, DD your car and what do you have to deal with?

Speed bumps a PITA?
Steep driveways scare you?
What type of springs if you plan to tow?

Does the drop really make the handle that much better or is it the shocks?

What is the lowest you would go for a DD? 0/2? 1/3??

I have asked around and I got good feedback but the people I talk to either have show cars they dropped way below my comfort level or never tow/use car for anything a truck is truly needed for.

I DD a lot and went from no drop to seriously considering not for the looks but the handle. I have a lot of back roads and used to have performance coups and sports sedans prior to the Tahoe. Cant get that feeling back but interested in any setup that will get me close.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Let me stop you right there. The trucks at stock hieght from the factory are at that height for the "general" public and "general" useage.
With the right shocks/springs/bags a lower truck will out tow anything stock height or higher. Lower center of gravity wins in this scenerio everytime. It's why a 2wd will always tow more than a 4wd. So instead of limited you just expanded the ability of the "truck".

And won't even get close comparing a sedan to a heavy bulky full size suv. Unless you wanna spend $15k on a completely fabricated set up.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me stop you right there. The trucks at stock hieght from the factory are at that height for the "general" public and "general" useage.
With the right shocks/springs/bags a lower truck will out tow anything stock height or higher. Lower center of gravity wins in this scenerio everytime. It's why a 2wd will always tow more than a 4wd. So instead of limited you just expanded the ability of the "truck".

And won't even get close comparing a sedan to a heavy bulky full size suv. Unless you wanna spend $15k on a completely fabricated set up.

Thats great to know. One of my biggest concerns with dropping was towing.

The popular shock/springs are the Blistein's. Assuming this combo is what you would recommend. Bags sound expensive. Do they make the ride that much better than aftermarket shocks? How is the longevity?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm at a 2/4 drop and is perfect for a DD purpose. I'm sure there is a point of "too low" for a DD but that's an individual preference

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
When I day bags referring to towing I'm talking about just helper bags in the rear. A kit is less than $200 and can bolt it in yourself.
Stick with oem or better for shocks. Bilstiens seem to be #1 choice on here

Drok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What they said

When i get my 2/4 put on ill let ya know how the dd over our great bumpy roads are haha. This will be my first lowered vehicle...

Plus our trucks with a 2/4 drop is still higher then id say 90% of the cars out there.

I don't tow enough to have any input for ya :D

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't tow at all but don't want to have to limit my options. I didn't know bags were that cheap but still more things to replace. Wanted it a little simpler. Might just do 2 in rear if no stress.

05alive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good suspension setup won't hurt towing. As for the worrying about things, the lower you go the more you have to worry about, always. My dad's SD can drive over a median without flinching, my buddy's lifted jeep climbs walls. My mom has to avoid potholes, small piles of snow, and steep driveways in her stock import sedan.

If you weren't worried about it in your sports cars, you wont be in the tahoe, except for maybe a rollover.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
I'm lowered and I'm 4wd. This is my daily and there is no problems what so ever.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I don't tow at all but don't want to have to limit my options. I didn't know bags were that cheap but still more things to replace. Wanted it a little simpler. Might just do 2 in rear if no stress.
Helper bags are just an option , for lowered or stock height. Don't have to get them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan