Too Light Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
rv8pilot

rv8pilot

Reaction score
Hey Chris, don't feel bad, I appreciate your efforts and I think a bunch of us have learned something from this. I had no idea I even had a steering wheel position sensor let alone what it did. Here in So. Florida we don't have anything resembling a friendly local dealership. I have a buddy who is a good mechanic and has access to the databases but I hate to bother him as much as I do. These things are so damn complex, even the old toads like mine, that an old time shade-tree mech like me is really stumbling around most of the time. I appreciate all the advice an ideas that folks on this and other sites are willing to take the time to share with the rest of us.

I am leaning toward trying to get my front end set up with zero camber and whatever maximum caster I can get without some sort of kit, eccentric bushings, etc., and eliminating any cross-caster. Our roads are quite flat and cross-caster correction is not necessary unless you are driving a lot on crowned roads. If I can get a few more degrees of caster it has to improve the self-centering of the steering and hopefully stiffen it up a bit.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, whatever solution you find please come back and update the thread as I'm very curious, and the information would be great to have for posterity.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been watching this thread as I'm suffering from light steering and wandering as well in my 2004 'hoe. I have new GM upper/lower ISS and steering bearing ready to go in. When I got under the dash today, I noticed I apparently have the sensor as part of my assembly. I am not finding much information on what part # I need to buy other than the review on the dorman say stay away and go genuine for it. I decided to pull the connection and obviously have the "service stability" message but want to see if some of the highway wandering goes away. Regardless, while I've got everything apart it makes sense to replace it but I don't know what part I need.

The one you listed does indeed cross-reference on gmpartsdirect to 2002 year but I have an 04.

I'm also going to have to figure out how to remove my adjustable gas pedal but mine looks different than all the pictures/guides I've seen.

Here's a pic of the disconnected sensor still in the bearing:
2vvs3c3xcczxHqld6pr-6yHunACGKhcKY=w483-h643-no-tmp.jpg

OP
OP
rv8pilot

rv8pilot

Reaction score
Hey Matt, I was just curious if you have the wiring diagrams for your '04 and if they show the steering sensor? Mine do not.

rndsommer

Reaction score
My Tahoe has very light steering also. No drifting or swaying though. Found it very noticeable when I first started driving it after giving my nissan frontier to my son. Hated that truck! I think it was just a comparison issue and wasn't used to it. Don't even notice it now. As long as it rides straight, not bumpy and no strange tire wear all is probably good. The tahoe is way more nimble and can make tighter turns than most of the tiny suvs. The easy light steering might be the trade off.

OP
OP
rv8pilot

rv8pilot

Reaction score
Ralph, to me the issue is partly the sensitivity and mostly a lack of what I would call "feel or feedback" for lack of better terms, meaning that the wheel does not transmit information to the driver if the vehicle departs from the straight and narrow or there is a pavement irregularity that deflects the tires. This is a problem with power steering in general and these rigs seem to have taken it to the extreme. I don't suppose there are too many cars built today that don't have PS but back in the day, nothing did. I cut my teeth on sports cars in the late '50s and '60s and all had what I would call responsive steering with great feedback in that you could feel the grip/slip of the tires and variations in the road surface. Now, all of these cars were pretty light by today's standards (my Alfa GTA coupe weighed 1640 lbs) and had light steering. Big heavy cars were hard to steer at parking speeds and required a lot of muscle so PS is not a bad thing necessarily. I think I read recently that Indy cars have power steering and if they can get that right they should be able to get these things right, you would think. Ok, that's enough, off the soapbox for now.

subieworx

Reaction score
I have gone through the same thing on my 03 Denali. I removed the autoride when I got it about 30k miles and one year ago. I do a lot of towing with this vehicle and as such spend quite a lot of time on the highway and was very annoyed with the on center feel. It is made even worse when towing. I replaced a lot of the joints and links in the front and have my own shop so I have done many alignments on it trying different specs. At stock ride height and lifted it didn't matter what I did there was always a dead spot on center on the highway. I recently lowered it and as such was able to get another 1.5* of caster in the front and the steering was noticeably better, but still not as good as I'd like it. I decided to try a steering stabilizer from KYB for the hell of it and I was instantly rewarded with what I was looking for. The steering is tight and feels great on the highway. Finally have steering that feels more like a car than a truck. I love it.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
I have gone through the same thing on my 03 Denali. I removed the autoride when I got it about 30k miles and one year ago. I do a lot of towing with this vehicle and as such spend quite a lot of time on the highway and was very annoyed with the on center feel. It is made even worse when towing. I replaced a lot of the joints and links in the front and have my own shop so I have done many alignments on it trying different specs. At stock ride height and lifted it didn't matter what I did there was always a dead spot on center on the highway. I recently lowered it and as such was able to get another 1.5* of caster in the front and the steering was noticeably better, but still not as good as I'd like it. I decided to try a steering stabilizer from KYB for the hell of it and I was instantly rewarded with what I was looking for. The steering is tight and feels great on the highway. Finally have steering that feels more like a car than a truck. I love it.
Any link to the part or part number? Pics also ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14