Too Light Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if your having the same problem as I am but it sounds like it. Yes around town its Perfect but at highway speeds I have to make sure I don't bump the wheel or the truck will make a move that my older '95 does not make.

OP
OP
rv8pilot

rv8pilot

Reaction score
John, you hit the nail on the head. It requires too much concentration on the highway just to keep in lane because there is no centering feel. It does seem to be less of an issue since I installed to Hydra Boost. (How can it be Hydro Boost when there's no water in it? Hmmm?)

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is nice to know that it's not just you that is having the problem if you could call it an actual problem. If a person never had another vehicle to compare it to you would think it's just fine.

OP
OP
rv8pilot

rv8pilot

Reaction score
If the steering feels loose then try this.
Take off the plastic cover that's behind the steering wheel. It's where your emergency flasher switch is. Then turn the wheel to the 3 and the 9 o'clock position. You'll see two torx bolts respectively. They may have yellow markings on them. Even though they are locked in from the factory they tend to back out. Tighten both down and see how that feels.

Josh, thanks for the pic and idea, if it ever stops raining I'll check it out, much appreciated.

Joshuasvt

Reaction score
No problem. I found it in the forums here although I forgot who the op was. Just passing on info. It helped my steering out quite a bit. Can't wait to feel the difference after the air ride is replaced with the z71 suspension and the pitman arm is replaced.

OP
OP
rv8pilot

rv8pilot

Reaction score
As yes, the Pitman arm. I was all set to replace mine along with the idler arm until I found I had to pull the steering gearbox. That has slowed me down a bit. It doesn't look all that difficult, I just didn't feel like dealing with it as both arms seem ok at this point. Still, everything I haven't replaced has almost 234K miles so who knows?. Still haven't checked out the Torx bolts, maybe tomorrow, I'll let you know if there is change or improvement.

OP
OP
rv8pilot

rv8pilot

Reaction score

Chris, I have a question if you are still following this. I am at a loss to understand what exactly the steering position sensor does. I follow that it electronically could sense the rotation speed and/or position of the steering wheel but I don't see any connection to the power steering hydraulic system nor can I find it in the wiring diagrams I have (Haynes Manual). Neither the power steering box or the PS pump have electrical connections and I don't see any sort of valving or metering system on any of the lines so I don't understand how it could change the PS system pressure or flow. Any enlightenment you can provide will be appreciated.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chris, I have a question if you are still following this. I am at a loss to understand what exactly the steering position sensor does. I follow that it electronically could sense the rotation speed and/or position of the steering wheel but I don't see any connection to the power steering hydraulic system nor can I find it in the wiring diagrams I have (Haynes Manual). Neither the power steering box or the PS pump have electrical connections and I don't see any sort of valving or metering system on any of the lines so I don't understand how it could change the PS system pressure or flow. Any enlightenment you can provide will be appreciated.

I figured someone on the internet had already explained it better than I could, so I hit up Google and here is one response that seems to make sense. I realize it is for a completely different model, but I'm assuming it works similarly on our trucks.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...position-sensor-what-does-do.html#post2983883

The Steering Wheel Position Sensor is just that: it senses wheel position and wheel turning rate as one of more than a dozen body and drivetrain sensor inputs to the active suspension, stability, and ABS systems. There is also a magnetic function which increases steering wheel turning effort required as vehicle speed increases - at high speeds there is practically no power steering function. It is wrapped around the lower steering column and requires column removal for replacement.

OP
OP
rv8pilot

rv8pilot

Reaction score
I figured someone on the internet had already explained it better than I could, so I hit up Google and here is one response that seems to make sense. I realize it is for a completely different model, but I'm assuming it works similarly on our trucks.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...position-sensor-what-does-do.html#post2983883

The Steering Wheel Position Sensor is just that: it senses wheel position and wheel turning rate as one of more than a dozen body and drivetrain sensor inputs to the active suspension, stability, and ABS systems. There is also a magnetic function which increases steering wheel turning effort required as vehicle speed increases - at high speeds there is practically no power steering function. It is wrapped around the lower steering column and requires column removal for replacement.

Chris, I checked in GM Parts Direct and found p/n 26084178 for my 2001 Yook. Googling that number, I found another GM listing that broke it out in more detail and listed it for 2002+ models. I decided to look how these sensors work and what they do. I couldn't find anything specific to my truck but found this info in the following forum: http://www.gmforum.com/2000-2005-90/steering-wheel-position-sensor-225179/

"You've got basically the right idea,but there'* quite a bit more to the Stabilitrac System............along with the ABS system(to detect a wheel losing traction),.the steerinng wheel position sensor works in conjunction with the stability sensor(a lateral accelerometer located at the center of the car[I know in the Grand Prixs it'* under the center console between the seats]),......when the two sensors detect a discrepancy between the direction you are steering(steering wheel position sensor)and the direction your car is Actually going(lateral accelerometer) it kicks in the Stabilitrac.........and depending on whether the car is oversteering (rear wheel losing traction during a turn/curve,causing the back of the car to 'spin out') or understeering(front wheel losing traction during a turn,causing the car to 'plow through'/miss a curve) the Stabilitrac System will apply braking to Either the outside FRONT brake(in oversteering) or the inside REAR brake(in understeering)."

I think now that there is no steering position connection to the PS system in my truck but to the ABS and possibly the traction control system. I don't think I have a "Stabilitrak" system per se but it does have traction control. I know this works as I punched it going up a tight right-hand rising off-camber turn in the rain and it hooked up and just went.

I went back and looked at the GM Parts Direct listing and realized that is where I found the 2002 reference. If you expand the application for GMC Yukon XL 1500 you will see that 2001 is not listed although the page does say its for 2001 under Product Description. Confusing. eh? Here's the link:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/gmc/yu...eering-column-****/?part_name=position-sensor

Last edited:

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boy, I'm afraid I'm out of anything of value to contribute at this point.

Maybe you could call a local dealership and ask them what may be causing the light steering issue. I'm sure they will want you to bring it in, but maybe you'll luck out and find someone who's willing to give you free advice and knows what he/she is talking about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons