To rebuild or to buy new (shocks)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Swapped out my wheels. Checked under for bushings wear, any loose or damaged components. All checked out as I has assumed (hoped, previous 1 owner was pretty meticulous with this thing).
Front seemed to be getting a little rough lately as far as ride quality.
Wiped the struts to find oem gas shocks. Never replaced or rebuilt.

Question is rebuild them or buy some bilsteins? Monroe's? Belltechs?

20170807_061435.jpg

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have autoride? If so then you could stay with acdelco oem (pricey) or Arnott equivalent reman'd shocks (less pricey) . Otherwise you could overide the autoride sensors and use Bilstein HD aftermarket shocks which seem to be popular. Sachs also makes a premium aftermarket shock. I have my front autoride sensors bypassed and use Monroe reflex monotubes

Last edited:

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have auto ride Monroe makes the cheapest auto ride shocks if you want them to function like the factory setup, or ditch the auto ride and get Bilsteins but if you do that and you have auto ride you might want to swap out the rear springs if you have non auto ride I'd still say Bilstein

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 01, non autoride hoe I remember swapping factory to bilstiens but to be honest.... i didnt feel any difference.... guess im not that sensitive to that stuff...i know the fronts were shot though, plowing and keys cranked all the way.... still rode pretty damn good tho....even lugging my plow around....

OP
OP
05Single

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Oh it got moved. So if it's factory suspension it's considered street suspension ?
Was wanting more input from a broad audience not just lowered peeps. But that's fine.

Anyway I do have autoride. I wasn't aware that it's all connected up front too. But the plan has always been to rip out the autoride (rear) anyway.
Ride Is not crazy horrible, maybe I'm expecting too much from this truck as far as ride comfort. My Silverado felt much more smooth compared. Newer being an 05 (back in 09) with only half the miles tho.

OP
OP
05Single

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Is it ok to run keys on auto gas shocks? Or turn keys up/down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt