Tires and wheels and Yukons. Oh My!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AsphaltCowboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently bought a 1997 Yukon with a 2" lift. Someone threw on some Chev 18" wheels at some point, and currently there's 265/65/18s on them. No rub at all and full wheel lock is fine. The tires are fairly bald and it's snow time, so I found a great deal on some used BFG KOs with 80% left. They are 285/65/18. I don't know what offset the wheels are and same with any spacer. I did find an example of the wheel online, but it was just a photo with no specs. I assume it's off a later model Chev. Think the 285s will fit?

For the last many years I have been boonie busting with 44" boggers with my dearly departed 2004 Ram 3500 Cummins. 435 hp, 4.56 rear end and 850 lbs of torque goes a long way lol.

I haven't had a GM product for at least 20 years. So, my apologies in advance for not being able to give more details. But it sure was cheap, $850.

00e0e_6No4mA09TGa_1200x900.jpg

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they look like 2007-14 Tahoe Hybrid wheels

1_chevrolet_tahoe-hybrid_4dr-suv_base_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

OP
OP
AsphaltCowboy

AsphaltCowboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think you are probably correct. Thanks.

Picked off the info for them here:

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/chevrolet/tahoe/2007/

8" width with a 31 offset

Seems like my year of Yukon came with a 265/65/17 7.5" width and a 31 offset. I can see how the current 265/65/18s could easily fit, even with no lift.

With my 2" lift and 8" width wheel, would going to a 285 tire cause rub etc?

Advanced math calculations was never my strong point lol.

OP
OP
AsphaltCowboy

AsphaltCowboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
* Welcome aboard and nice looking truck for twenty plus years old. *

Thanks for the welcome. The truck is fine on the outside, and not very much rust at all underneath. 223k on the clock. The interior is trashed. Stains upon stains. Leather that looks like rabid weasels got to it. And a stereo system wiring job that was performed by aliens. Can't recall the code offhand, but the oil reeks of gas and that matches with the code. Have some cheap parts arriving soon to fix that issue, distributor and sensors, luckily the timing chain is fine. Going to the local wrecker to find new seats for up front. Around here the 60/40 split benches are hard to find, so I'll probably have to grab some buckets and another console. Hopefully the droids in the ****** of GM had the presence of mind to make each floor pan the same and make it easy to put in whichever seat scheme depending on the assembly line orders that day. Still has wall to wall plastic floor runners throughout the interior. Not sure what I'll find underneath as far as the carpet condition is concerned. But if totally trashed I'll just peel it all up and weld in some bolts for the seats. Maybe gravel guard the floors lol.

This won't be a vehicle I'll toss much money into. Hell, the tires I could snag are 4 KOs for $225, and up here in Winterland, that's real cheap. Hasn't been since I was a kid, but the stereo will be worth more lol.

The wife has an aging Pathfinder that'll soon be in the boneyard. When my finances improve she'll get the Yukon, minus the sound system, of course....

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the services of an upholstery shop to recover your seats. Some sell kits you can do yourself. GM did have the presence of mind to make the pans fit all of their seat options; but you never know!

OP
OP
AsphaltCowboy

AsphaltCowboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The seats are beyond repair. They'd need to be recovered. The ones in the back are OK for their purpose. I've checked out the prices of the leather kits, but it's not a Bimmer worth a fortune so I'm passing on those for monetary reasons.

Glad to hear that the pans are ambidextrous. Should make things easier. Was pissing out with rain today, so didn't wander around in a few acres of wrecks today. But as luck would have it, this week they're having a sale. Every seat in the joint, $24.95. Yep, truck and SUV seats and leather too, same price. They have around 20 of our breed in their lot, including pickups. So one of them will have the grey leather seats I'm looking for. Nice thing about it is they'll give me the console free.

A side note is I crawled under it today and took a look. Just 2" blocks on the back, and no cranking up front. Guess it looks lifted because of the 18" wheels. Took some measurements when fully turned each way. Could probably just make the 285s fit with no surgery. But my go to lift shop said bring him a coffee and he'll crank the forks for free.

Did check out the tires. Sellers really don't know what tread depth is. I estimate 35% at best. Better than mine at 25%. So tomorrow I'll go back with my depth checker and beat him down to $100 for all 4 lol.

I think I'll call the vehicle Miss Frugal lol

OP
OP
AsphaltCowboy

AsphaltCowboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had to sell my boat recently. Had a stroked 496 full roller motor in it. Holley 850 carb. Acres of torque. Perfect track motor, or would eat the street. But imagine it in this Yukon doing mud wallows.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore