Tires and Road Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am starting the research on replacement tires and rims or just replacement tires for my 2005 Suburban 2500 (Quadrasteer). I'm currently running 265/75R16 "Wiold Country Radial XTX", and they are noisy enough to be heard inside the Suburban.

1) I am considering upsizing the rims, because I want to set myself up to add the NNBS rotors in the front. My understanding is they require a minimum of 17" wheels.

2) In terms of tires, I think I'd like to run the 285s, but I have no idea of what brand to choose.

3) At this point, I don't need to tow my maximum load, so I don't need ultra-towing tires, either.

4) This is 4-wheel drive (and steer, for that matter), so I am fairly certain I don't want to go street only, and 2 sets of wheels/tires is not currently a budgeted option.

5) The budget is pretty reasonable, but I don't want to just toss my money out the window, either.

Would you mind pointing me in the right direction?

Thanks for any assistance.

P.S. I did a search on "road noise" and only found two threads including the term. Neither of them seemed to head the direction I am looking -- they all seemed focused on the largest size you could put in the wheel well. So if I missed something, please be kind when you correct me.

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My current General Grabber ATII's are a GREAT option. The only time I've detected any road noise is when I caught a pebble in between the lugs, and that was a simple fix... Great manners on the road, very capable on dirt roads and trails. Not a mud tire, but still does decent in mild slop. And, they're rated at 60K.

CamReynolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more space between the lugs of the tire makes more road noise. more space=more air=noise. You seem like you could use either an all terrain or a hybird tire. nitto terra grappler g2, falken wildpeak at, and bfg k02 are my pics for all terrain, but there are tons out there. a hybrid all terrain mud tire will look really good and be better in mud than an all terrain but can get pricey

OP
OP
S33k3r

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more space between the lugs of the tire makes more road noise. more space=more air=noise. You seem like you could use either an all terrain or a hybird tire. nitto terra grappler g2, falken wildpeak at, and bfg k02 are my pics for all terrain, but there are tons out there. a hybrid all terrain mud tire will look really good and be better in mud than an all terrain but can get pricey

My current General Grabber ATII's are a GREAT option. The only time I've detected any road noise is when I caught a pebble in between the lugs, and that was a simple fix... Great manners on the road, very capable on dirt roads and trails. Not a mud tire, but still does decent in mild slop. And, they're rated at 60K.

Thank you both for giving me a direction to go. I can at least research these tires to see if they fit my bill.

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am using a set of Laufenn X Fit AT tires on my GMC Yukon XL 1500.
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/laufenn-x-fit-at/p/31109
I've had them since last fall and I really like them. They aren't noisy, and they get really good traction.
I drove through airdam deep snow and it couldn't tell when I went from the plowed area to the unplowed, and I've driven up and down sandy two-tracks without feeling like I was in danger of getting stuck, both times in 2wd.

20170314_193844.jpg 20170314_193854.jpg

Jim Zenhye

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I put a set of the new Toyo Open Country's on, I think they are R/T's it's got the mud tire look and performance but the sound of an All Terrain. They are quiet as a church mouse inside the vehicle.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no better highway tire made for a truck than the Michelin LTX. I am well pleased with my BF Goodrich KO2s, they are rock solid in heavy rain at highway speeds.

southboundchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically the all terrain tires will sound nice and quiet and ride pretty smooth until you get over say 25000 plus miles on them then they get noisy ..... keeping the truck aligned and tires balance will buy you some time and mileage but from my 30+ years experience they all start getting some degree of noise once they start wearing down

OP
OP
S33k3r

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything I have read indicates Michelin's are 1) the most pricey and 2) the best tires. But I am really appreciating the suggestions an experience y'all have shared with me on this.

Does anyone have any suggestions about rims? I am not looking for aesthetics opinions, but those are welcome. I am looking for ride and handling quality.

Thanks again,

Will

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts