Tire recommendations please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gdfein

Reaction score
I drive a ‘16 Denali swb at 29k miles and wife drives ‘16 Escalade ESV at 22k, both have OEM 22” wheels. I will be due for new rubber before my inspection this August and my wife shortly thereafter (what wife doesn’t want new tires for Xmas?)

We live in Houston, TX so snow not a concern, just lots of highway miles and high temps.

Looking for tire recommendations please. Also recommendations for the best retail places to get this work done; dealership, Costco, NTB, etc. I don’t have a “local shop” I trust so looking for larger retailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Goodyear 22’s. Came new on my certified 16. Ride great, look good.

8C82557D-89AD-4C35-9A52-A84AF9B1BB26.jpeg

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine came with bridgestone dueller Alenza, and they ride well and are quiet. So I plan to keep that since it's the oem tire.

But many people on the escalade forums recommend the michelin defender ltx's

OP
OP
G

gdfein

Reaction score
Follow-up Post.

I guess I was off on my estimate of having another 3-4months of tire wear left. Took wife’s Esky in for inspection and the front tires were slightly misaligned so there was excess wear on inside edges I never noticed. Hence inspection fail. Didn’t want to do multiple trips so went with Mich Premier LTX as that’s what Caddy dealer recommended.

Then decided if wife’s was due should get my Yukon done and not push it. I was able to put Mich Defender LTX on my Yukon the same day.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow-up Post.

I guess I was off on my estimate of having another 3-4months of tire wear left. Took wife’s Esky in for inspection and the front tires were slightly misaligned so there was excess wear on inside edges I never noticed. Hence inspection fail. Didn’t want to do multiple trips so went with Mich Premier LTX as that’s what Caddy dealer recommended.

Then decided if wife’s was due should get my Yukon done and not push it. I was able to put Mich Defender LTX on my Yukon the same day.

If the inside of the front tires were worn, chances are the toe is out on the alignment. Rotating and re balancing the tires every oil change is good practice too. Insist that the tires are crossed as they are rotated to the rear (LF to RR, RF to LR) for optimum service.

jasgot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Follow-up Post.

Hi,
I just signed up after years of lurking; just to speak to you about your Premier LTXs.

I have a 2015 Yukon Denali and a 2014 Lincoln Navigator L. Both take the same size tire. I did a TON of reading and asking about tires when I had to replace them. It was October 2016 when the Nav needed its first set of tires at 50k miles. After a lot of reading and talking with other SUV enthusiasts, I chose the Mich Premier LTX. They had only been on the market a short while at the time.

My wife loved them; handled well and were quieter than the OEM (Pirelli). 6 weeks later I put them on my Denali.

Then winter came (Michigan)…….. Not so good. They do not provide the control in snow and ice that the OEMs provided (talking about BOTH vehicles), to the point where we would alter our plans based on road conditions.

Then..... at about 28k miles on both trucks, the tires were EVENLY, down to 3/32. Talk about disappointing!

I went back to where we purchased and had them installed (Michelin Dealer). After being doubtful of what I was being told, I went to two other Mich dealers locally. I was told by all three that these tires just do not hold up under the weight of my vehicles.

I had discussions with the installer about the Michelin warranty. Although they would make it work, it would be very little prorated value. I went back a couple of days later, and spoke to someone else. Their answer was not as good as the first which started to erode my trust in the dealer (tire store, not auto dealer).

It basically comes down to the warranty fine print. Since I did not register my tires, and I did not have them rotated every 6k miles at a certified Michelin dealer, there was no warranty. I suspect the place where I bought them was just offering a deal on replacing them, and they would not even submit them to Michelin.

In all cases (the three tire stores); they said they do not install the Premier LTX on anything larger than a Jeep Grand Cherokee / Ford Explorer anymore.

So, since you haven't had them very long, get them rotated at the place you had them installed, and be prepare to replace them before the 60k warranty.

I am in the process of determining what tire to replace them with, I am considering the Defender LTX ( a little louder, I hear) or something from Firestone.

I wish you well with them, and please register and rotate them just in case you need to fall back on the warranty.

Jason

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy Jason. Does Michelin offer the Premier in heavier versions? For example, one can get the Defender LTX in a P-Metric and Load Range B and E versions but usually only in certain sizes.

If I ever put a highway tire on my truck it would be the Defender LTX in either the B or E rated tire. But we are so pleased with the wet weather performance of the BFG KO2s that we'll probably never change tires. I drove through over an inch of standing water at highway speeds the other day and the truck didn't budge, it was rock solid on the highway. She's the same when driving through partially flooded roads on our city streets, the steering wheel doesn't get yanked out of our hands when driving one side through standing water.

They won't go 80k miles but that trade off for the performance we get is acceptable.

I've never known a Firestone tire to come even close to the performance of a Michelin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts