Tinted windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have measured weird at your plant, but the rest of the world uses visible light transmission.

Tint is measured by VLT. Factory is around 18%. Light smoke is 50%-70%. 35% just into the range where it's tough to see in. The next state over from me is 70%, which is ridiculous because most sunglasses are 20%-40% and AFAIK there's no law against sunglasses at night. *cue Corey Hart*

http://tintlaws.com/

70% is pretty light. You should be able to see pretty decent at night. My tint guy does a lot of 50% on windshields. His truck has 20%, and he did 5% for a show car before.

Windshield tint is illegal in every state. However some states let you get a doctor's note.
I got my numbers swapped around. Factory tint is 20% which means only 20% of the outside light comes in and light smoke is 50%. "Limo Tint" is typically 5%. (I didnt proofread my prior post) I use to be a window tinter back in the early 90s and tinted 100s of vehicles. Hardest one at the time was the rear hatchback of Porsche 944 because of its severe curvature requires many strips overlapped precisely. I remember there was another senior tinter there and he a had a ford thunderbird (1980s) with 50% tint on the whole windshield. It was fairly dark (from the inside) at night.
I didnt measure anything at the factory on the glass. I was an instrumentation, calibration and automation electronic technician.

KBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I manage a window tinting shop in Seattle and have been tinting windows for almost 10 years. I tint roughly 20 cars a week and I tint probably 6 full windshields a week and most are 50% but customers want 80%. Most windshields and front side windows are already tinted about 73% but that's just a dyed glass from the factory(it's not an actual film). Its hard to notice a fully tinted windshield since there is no edge of the film to see. I have 50% on mine and love it. It's a ceramic based film which really cuts down heat, rejects 99.9% U.V. rays and cuts out almost all glare. I would have put 35% on it but I let my wife drive it from time to time and her eyes aren't the greatest when it comes to driving at night. I also have a 5% strip across the top that comes down about 8 inches.

NeverSatisfied

eBay Baller
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 35% on my whole windshield, 5% on my front two, and 5% over factory on the back 3 (around 2% I believe) and have no issue with visibility. Haven't had any issues with police either (knock on wood), but one of my previous trucks had this same combo and went 4 years without hassle. My dad runs 20% on every window including full windshield and also has no problems.

Both pics have the windshield done. Top out of direct sun and you can see somewhat inside, bottom in direct sun and can't see insideIMG_4323.JPGIMG_4326.JPG

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its hard to notice a fully tinted windshield since there is no edge of the film to see.

This is why I wish TX didn't have a registration sticker. Easily tell a windshield is tinted because of the white background on the sticker. Otherwise mine would be 30% all the time.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be advised, if you have a Dr note you cannot drive a vehicle WITHOUT tint then. It would be the same as driving without corrective lenses.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

that is ridiculous. Sunglasses wouldn't work?

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tinted pretty much all my vehicles I have owned with 35% on all fronts. Iowa is strictly against tint on the fronts but rarely get pulled over.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 35% on my whole windshield, 5% on my front two, and 5% over factory on the back 3 (around 2% I believe) and have no issue with visibility. Haven't had any issues with police either (knock on wood), but one of my previous trucks had this same combo and went 4 years without hassle. My dad runs 20% on every window including full windshield and also has no problems.

Both pics have the windshield done. Top out of direct sun and you can see somewhat inside, bottom in direct sun and can't see insideView attachment 78450View attachment 78451
Drive that truck through central IL. I dare ya! You wont do it! Try Bloomington, IL. You wont make it 1000yds into town before getting the cherries & blueberries!

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drive that truck through central IL. I dare ya! You wont do it! Try Bloomington, IL. You wont make it 1000yds into town before getting the cherries & blueberries!
Pretty sure it is not something they can pull you over for when you are from out of state or at least it used to be that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts