Tinted windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tinted there windshield? If so post pics I'm thinking about doing mine 70% mostly doing it for the glare & high beams don't want to go crazy dark want it as light as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to have 30% on my windshield with 5% on every other window.
After a week or so your eyes get used to the different light levels. I had no problems seeing out at nighttime. Wasn't as easy as non tinted, but I live in the city so everything is well let. Got rid of it eventually. Really liked it when I had it.
IMG_1542.JPG

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better check with your state laws. Most likely its illegal to tint your whole windshield. Many states only allow around 6" from the top to be tinted all the way across. 20% is light smoke tint. 30% would be suicide on your windshield at night. 50% is equivalent to the factory dark smoke tint built into the glass which is selenium and cobalt. I use to work at the glass factory in Mt. Zion, IL. where much of Tahoe, Yukons, Escalades, etc. glass came from. I was one of the guys that worked on all of the automation at that plant. I calibrated, repaired and troubleshot the scales that weighed in all of the selenium and cobalt for our factory tinted windows. You all can thank me later! hahaha

OP
OP
95escahoe

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to have 30% on my windshield with 5% on every other window.
After a week or so your eyes get used to the different light levels. I had no problems seeing out at nighttime. Wasn't as easy as non tinted, but I live in the city so everything is well let. Got rid of it eventually. Really liked it when I had it.
View attachment 78217

That looks pretty darn good, but too dark for me I'm gonna match the front two doors with the factory rear tint I think 20% matches that and just want the windshield lightly tinted so I'm not hassled about it & just doing it for the glare and high beams

OP
OP
95escahoe

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better check with your state laws. Most likely its illegal to tint your whole windshield. Many states only allow around 6" from the top to be tinted all the way across. 20% is light smoke tint. 30% would be suicide on your windshield at night. 50% is equivalent to the factory dark smoke tint built into the glass which is selenium and cobalt. I use to work at the glass factory in Mt. Zion, IL. where much of Tahoe, Yukons, Escalades, etc. glass came from. I was one of the guys that worked on all of the automation at that plant. I calibrated, repaired and troubleshot the scales that weighed in all of the selenium and cobalt for our factory tinted windows. You all can thank me later! hahaha

Thanks for the info, 20% on the front two doors would match the factory rear tint? And yup it's illegal here lol I might do a 5% strip or do the windshield in 70% I want it as light as possible so it doesn't stand out too much just doing it for glare & high beams

Cattivo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My best advice on windshield tint is don't tint it...you WILL get pulled over and you WILL get a ticket, ask me how I know lol

I have since removed the windshield tint and replaced it with Lumar windshield tint, it blocks direct sun glare during the day(no more pulling down the sun visor) and those inconsiderate drivers who use high beams at night. The best part is during the summer it keeps the inside of your car/truck nice and cool

OP
OP
95escahoe

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My best advice on windshield tint is don't tint it...you WILL get pulled over and you WILL get a ticket, ask me how I know lol

I have since removed the windshield tint and replaced it with Lumar windshield tint, it blocks direct sun glare during the day(no more pulling down the sun visor) and those inconsiderate drivers who use high beams at night. The best part is during the summer it keeps the inside of your car/truck nice and cool

I was reading about that tint too, so it's just like an added UV blocker and doesn't really darken the windshield?

Cattivo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was reading about that tint too, so it's just like an added UV blocker and doesn't really darken the windshield?

That's exactly what it is, looking at it you would never know it was tinted unless you're parked in direct sunlight and looking at it from various angles...it looks like there's a rainbow on your windshield

OP
OP
95escahoe

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what it is, looking at it you would never know it was tinted unless you're parked in direct sunlight and looking at it from various angles...it looks like there's a rainbow on your windshield

Hm that's pretty much what I'm looking for and it's called Lumar windshield tint? Gonna have to call around and see who has it has to be somewhere around here that uses that or a similar product

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitransmission