Tinted windshield is confusing the automatic headlamps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott6760

Reaction score
I had my windshield tinted 50% and the rest of the windows 15%. Now the automatic headlamps are all out of wack and the truck thinks it's nighttime all the time. The headlights (and by default tail lights too) are always on now unless the sun is shining directly on the windshield.

This wouldn't be such a problem except during the day I have to turn the brightness on the dash gauges all the way up in order to see anything, but then when it's actually nighttime they are way too bright and I have to turn them down.

Could I take it to the dealer and have them recalibrate the sensor? Anybody else with a tinted windshield having the same issue? This is on a '16 Denali.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd pull the tint off before going through all those gyrations, but that's just me.

Good luck.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Yeah mine does that too. Just turn light knob to disable automatic lights during the day. I have to do it every once in a while when its not sunny but cloudy. I run 50% shield and 20% sides.

NowZoomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're doing it for heat, they now make clear ceramics that block 45% of the heat vs the 50s you're getting with all the headaches of dark windshield tint

OP
OP
scott6760

scott6760

Reaction score
The tinted windshield is a game changer when it comes to nighttime driving. Even if the oncoming cars have their brights on it's hardly noticeable. And daytime driving into the sun is much safer.

Sounds like there's no fix for the headlights though, so I guess I'll just have to deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk