Timing Chains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xczar

Reaction score
Have a 97 Yukon 2 dr that I keep as near mint as possible. I always gave it regular syn oil changes and anything else it needed. Has 210K on it and I am considering a replacement timing chain as the motor seems to run a bit rough. Is there a definitive way to test the chain? And after seeing a couple of YouTube`s, is it tough to do this job?
Also, with 210K, am I nearing a rebuild?
I am not experienced working on motors, but not afraid to do somethings, brakes, starters, lubes, etc...

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instead of doing the chain, why not go to a good local shop and have them troubleshoot the roughness. You could have an intake manifold leak, a coil going out, a valve not sealing properly. Have you replaced the plugs recently? How are the plug wires and distributor cap? Could the fuel injection need cleaning? See what I mean--there are a lot of causes for misfires.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree- it's not likely that the timing chain is causing it to run rough.

OP
OP
X

xczar

Reaction score
Instead of doing the chain, why not go to a good local shop and have them troubleshoot the roughness. You could have an intake manifold leak, a coil going out, a valve not sealing properly. Have you replaced the plugs recently? How are the plug wires and distributor cap? Could the fuel injection need cleaning? See what I mean--there are a lot of causes for misfires.
The spider wire set was replace with plugs not long ago.
Seen a lot of loose chains on youtube and wondered if others experienced problems?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts