Ticks at 200k.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jmgtng

Reaction score
03 z71. Starting to get some ticking on the drivers side. 199k should I pull the valve covers & shoot them with cleaner or start with a motor flush?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's very common and may go away on it's own or it may not, only worry if it gets worse, it' probably not worth the cost involved to MAKE the tick go away

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this tick go away after its warmed up? could be a busted exhaust bolt. they make a nice tick, then when it gets hot the metal manifold expands and the leak stops.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Normal gm lifter tick, surprised it took so long. Again, sure its up top and not lower?
Tick- most times just lifters
Knock- fughetaboutit

OP
OP
J

Jmgtng

Reaction score
The tick is not there at cold start. Only after driven a few miles.

OP
OP
J

Jmgtng

Reaction score
Normal gm lifter tick, surprised it took so long. Again, sure its up top and not lower?
Tick- most times just lifters
Knock- fughetaboutit
Ok good info thanks. LS swap happy! But yea it's at the top & super quiet below.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The day you decide to change the oil just drop a quart of tranny fluid in it and let it idle in the driveway for 20 mins or so. (DO NOT DRIVE IT WITH TRANNY FLUID IN THE ENGINE). Drain it all then new oil and your tick will be gone.

Sgtduckyboy

Reaction score
I had this 'tick' for a year,, went away with new oil changes and came back when engine was real warm, under load or when oil got thin/old. I had a lifter get stuck 2 months ago, in the exact area it was 'ticking'. I didnt cause any damage, i had to replace lifters, pushrods, cam at a minimum, but since i was in in there, i replaced timing gear, oil pump, upgraded cam, valve springs, water pump and cleand up air intake, replaced o rings for injectors, intake gaskets... If you can do this yourself, I'd find a good weekend and grab a buddy and do it before it breaks. I dont think the ways to temporarily fix it, prevent it from eventually failing. and what if that failure causes more damage? but good news, tick is gone, more power, got it tuned and it purrs now! good for another 100-200k probably!

Reaction score
Had a 5.3 that had terrible piston slap for years. Silky smooth when hot but sounded like a diesel when cold. I thought it sounded like a lifter but trusted mechanic advised me otherwise. Still not sure he was right, but I can tell you this,the engine never missed a beat and had 237K on it when I sold it. If it quiets down when its warm, don't stress about it...

Toomanyhobbies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have the cold diesel sounding piston slap, and at 190K it also runs great. I usually start it and let it run a couple minutes before I leave to take the kids to school nowadays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne