Ticking noise coming from engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Bendzsuk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Guys I need some advice. I have a 2015 Yukon and when I sart the engine I hear a ticking noise. It is really loud under the drivers side wheel. It doesn't stop either when the car gets going. I hear it if I'm stopped and the windows down. I took to Chevy dealer and the lead mechanic told me that's normal because of the new motor and pistons they use. It is really freaking annoying. I want to take to another dealer since it is under warranty still. Let me know if they do make this noise or what you guys think the problem is. Thanks for any advice.

J

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not normal. Take it to another Dealer and you could call GM customer service and open a case. Maybe there is a TSB on the problem.

Shadowchaser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have same exact sound from same location like you described. I just got 2015 Chevy Tahoe LT. I schedule apoitment for next week i hope nothing serious. Also i noticed slight engine vibration wnen car standing and very big vibration when driving on the highway between 70-80 mpr.

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are lots of threads about this, search around a bit. In most cases the noise is normal with the new setup, but some have had it worse (and it's been other things) and it's been addressed.

Good luck.

cl9988

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought my 2015 Tahoe LT a year and a half ago with 20k miles and had/have the exact same issue. I took it to the dealer and they said it was normal with the new engines. I respectfully complained and expressed my displeasure but nothing came from it. It sounds bad but I guess it is the new normal. This is my 5th Tahoe and while all the other improvements are awesome, it is disappointing to have a ticking noise coming from the motor, especially considering how expensive these trucks have become.

muncie21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been fixed on the newer models, but the older 6.0 and 6.2 motors had a tendency to sheer one or more bolt heads on the exhaust manifold. My '09 Denali has 3 sheered exhaust manifold bolt heads as we speak and will 'tick' until the manifolds are good and warm.

Last edited:

martymar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have a 2016 yukon denali that had a ticking noise coming from the same area (sounded like front left side engine compartment/ maybe behind dash) anyways, took it in to dealer, the tech said he used "ears" to isolate where it was coming from. it was the magnetic ride shocks, and there was a service bulletin for that problem. they replaced front shocks and no more ticking!

Pittz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a very loud ticking/tapping sound that I can hear. I can really hear it if i put a pry bar to my ear near the oil pan. I know what injectors sound like. I took it to one dealer, and they told me they could not fix anything if they did not know what the problem was.... WTF???

duke90

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2017 Yukon XL Denali and put 2000 miles on it in the past 4 days. I hear a slight ticking coming from the same area. Will take it in to have it looked at.

Bemesanovic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2017 Yukon XL Denali and put 2000 miles on it in the past 4 days. I hear a slight ticking coming from the same area. Will take it in to have it looked at.
Any updates on this? Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shahid