Throttle Body Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jomulk56

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Got this from over at TF, originally posted by boostaholic. Figured people would want to know how to do this here as well.
I found this over at denalitrucks.com but figured I would share it with you guys. I first questioned the coolant lines on the lower part of our throttle bodies and the actual benefit of warm-up during the colder months when I cleaned my tb last week. Upon further research I found that plenty of people are deleting the coolant bypass through the tb to ease cleaning and keep the tb cooler (limited performance benefit). Another guy was kind enough to post these diagrams to better illustrate the modification
bypass2dw2.jpg

I had plenty of slack in the line so I just removed the smaller coolant hose toward the driver's side, now it is 10x easier to clean the throttle body when you don't have to disconnect the coolant lines, don't forget to buy a new gasket for the throttle body they're about $7 from your local napa part # 61070
606764.jpg

Last edited:

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just did this mod. Not nearly as easy as it sounds, but I got it done nonetheless. Haven't noticed any benefits from it quite yet since it's cold outside, but summer is right around the corner...

One thing I will say though, is that the driver's side is a *****. More than likely, you will have to cut the rubber hose off at the metal barb, cut a slit in the remaining hose, and peel it off the tube. Thats ok though, theres plently of slack left in the other side for when you need to connect the two.

shsportsfan12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did this mod. Not nearly as easy as it sounds, but I got it done nonetheless. Haven't noticed any benefits from it quite yet since it's cold outside, but summer is right around the corner...

One thing I will say though, is that the driver's side is a *****. More than likely, you will have to cut the rubber hose off at the metal barb, cut a slit in the remaining hose, and peel it off the tube. Thats ok though, theres plently of slack left in the other side for when you need to connect the two.

I did this as well.... what a pain in the ass. I had to climb into the engine bay (truck is lifted and I'm short as shit) to get to it all. Drivers side was a pain in the ass and it's where the coolant flows from. I lost a lot of coolant doing this. On a dyno, it was proven to give a solid 1HP difference. So...can you feel the difference? No. Was it really worth the time? Probably not. Was it still kinda fun to tinker around for an essentially free (if you dont buy the barb) mod? Hell yeah

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
Yeah, this was unexpectedly difficult. Them little barb clamps are a pain in the ass for sure. Overall easy though.

Volant1

Volant guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have dynoed this mod, before and after show a 0 hp increase, not worth the trouble in my eyes

Toadster

Reaction score
I'd think the TB would get more radiant heat from being connected to the intake/engine more than having coolant run through it...

now if the TB was made of plastic - that would be a different story...

HMFDZ28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has been a debated mod on LS1's for years... and it hasnt been proven to much of poop. If you were to get a gain it would be so minor you wouldnt notice. But to each is Own.