Throttle Body Bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimmyTwoToes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Long/short of a brutal two weeks...re: 2008 Tahoe with 150,000 miles on it.

Got the CEL with 'Reduced Engine Power', 'Service Stabilatrak' and 'Service Traction Control' messages. Fortunately was close to home so I just parked it in the garage. Next day, no messages or even the CEL. Drove it for a week and no problems. The next weekend, it did it again. This time, I pulled over and shut it down for a couple minutes on the side of the road. Started up and all was well (except CEL stayed on this time).

Took it to Autozone and it threw P2135 and P0120 only. Recommended 'Reprogram Powertrain Control Module (PCM)'. Again, every time this happened, I would pull over and shut it down and then start it up with no issues. I even limped to Autozone and left with full power.

Last week it got colder and it started happening at least once during every trip. Never on the freeway, but always at slower speeds. Then a couple mornings ago, it melted down completely as I was leaving for work and I couldn't even get it out of the driveway. It kept rev and stalling. Three times until I limped back into the garage and took the wife's Camry.

That night, with hood open in the garage, I noticed when I turn the key to the 'on' position, but not start the engine, I hear whining and then grinding like two plastic gears stripping at high-speed. When I turn the vehicle off, it does it again, but worse.

In videos, I see that the throttle body has a bigger white gear in it under the TPS, and I'm wondering if it's that gear stripping that is making the noise. I was going to spend the $50 or whatever and replace the TPS to see if that solved the problem before getting taken to the cleaners at a dealership. But if that gear is doing that and is part of the throttle body, should I just replace the entire throttle body and see what happens?

Would like to hear what you would do and your thoughts & questions if you need more information. And please hurry, I have a family trip this weekend!

Thanks

OP
OP
J

JimmyTwoToes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also, I have audio recordings of the 'grinding' noise with engine running and without. What format do they need to be in to upload?

Roth29

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just had the exact same Issue in my 2011 Tahoe. Took it in and had to have the Throttle body replaced. Works perfectly now. They got it fixed in 1 day.
Hope this helps!

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't they have a recall that they were replacing the whole throttle body because the TPS was messing up?

OP
OP
J

JimmyTwoToes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update, I took the $50 gamble and it paid off. Replaced the TBS and seemed to fix the problem. Truck runs great and doesn't do all the crazy stuff it did before. We will see how it does this weekend on an out-of-town trip.

harbison

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JimmyTwoToes,
Is it still working ok? I've had this problem off and on for a couple of years. Keep replacing things. Did it again today.

Andre Downer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had this problem.. thats what led me to do all the upgrades I did.. figured if I was gonna be under the hood, might as well do everything in one shot.. best grand I ever spent!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Butterfly7