Thoughts on 4wd auto?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
HiHoeSilver

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
And 2. I've noticed keeping it in 4wd auto is pretty rough on the fluid. I haven't seen a failure due to using it yet, but why put unnecessary strain on parts if I don't have to?

How did you notice this and why is auto any harder on it that 4hi?

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Escalade is AWD and is a tank in the snow so don't have to worry about this but I've got a Z-71 Silverado on snowy days I'll just throw it in 4hi from my experience the auto 4wd is decent but doesn't really kick in till you need it, I'd rather lock it in 4hi then have there be a delay like there is when it's in auto 4wd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smrtss1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had auto and 4wd on my Silverado and I think I only put it in 4wd half a dozen times and that's when I still had the horrendous stock Goodyear RSA's on it and there was more than 2" of snow. Those tires suck and I wouldn't even use them for a tire swing, someone would spit on the road and I'd lose traction. Most of the time I'd put it in auto and turn off traction control and stabilitrack and it'd be fine. I finally leveled the front and put 33" Hankook ATM's on it and rarely had to take it out of 2wd. The one time I did was due to white out conditions up in Door County Wisconsin and I was an hour from the house.

Tires mean everything.

4WDTRK

sleeps in garage
Reaction score
When I first bought my truck I used to leave it in auto all the time thinking why not. Then I started getting a strange howl from the front end mostly when turning on freeway on-ramps. I took it to the dealer to have them check it out and they advised me not to keep it in auto since some parts are engaged causing the noise.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had auto and 4wd on my Silverado and I think I only put it in 4wd half a dozen times and that's when I still had the horrendous stock Goodyear RSA's on it and there was more than 2" of snow. Those tires suck and I wouldn't even use them for a tire swing, someone would spit on the road and I'd lose traction. Most of the time I'd put it in auto and turn off traction control and stabilitrack and it'd be fine. I finally leveled the front and put 33" Hankook ATM's on it and rarely had to take it out of 2wd. The one time I did was due to white out conditions up in Door County Wisconsin and I was an hour from the house.

Tires mean everything.

Everything?

93blkongreenpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep mine in Auto during the winter and when it rains. Otherwise, its in 2wd

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
How did you notice this and why is auto any harder on it that 4hi?
Working at a shop, chatting with customers about their driving habits so I can offer them a solution that works best for them.

I've noticed the folks that leave their truck in 4 auto dirty the transfer case fluid pretty quick. It comes out looking almost like engine oil, really dark and dirty. There's no magnet to it's tough to establish if there's any change in metal. The transfer case in our trucks has a clutch pack in there and 4 auto cycles it pretty frequently. You can feel it engage and disengage.

I personally only use it if driving conditions are intermittent patches of ice and snow where using 4wd wouldn't be appropriate

Kim Allison Ross

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I use auto all the time. Mine failed several days ago. Now no lights, nothing. I slip n slide all over the place. I have all season radials x 4.:(:help:

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Though I have a full time and with the Denali I've owned probably 7 or 8 suburban/k1500 and the like. I agree with the fellas recommending auto. If the conditions are slippery enough for the back wheels to spin more then the front it kicks in. Once the wheel speeds are the same it kicks out. It's a very dependable system that only comes on when needed. The last thing you want if you're worried about the front diff is to put it in full time 4wd and forget and drive down the highway like that. If you haven't changed the diff fluid yet there are a few additives that can help extend its life until you're ready.