Thinking of Buying a 00-06 NBS Tahoe/Suburban? Look Here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMmatt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2004 Yukon Denali AWD 6.0 engine
132k miles
$8000

I'm thinking of buying this vehicle and had recently spoke with a mechanic about it. He said the differentials in the AWD go bad around 130k miles. Does anyone else experience this or do they last much longer?
Also the truck has 22" rims and 305 tires. Will this really put that much more strain on the suspension?
I was advised not to buy the vehicle that is was high maintenance. Do you guys agree or is my mechanic just being overly concerned?

00m0m_4AcYl6k8ceY_600x450.jpg

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@GMmatt , those look like 20s but hard to tell cuz of the pic. Lol. Strain on suspension will happen from many different factors, not just bigger wheels. My air ride suspension was blown when I bought it because the previous owner towed a lot and didn't bother to maintain it and replace parts when they gave out. And my car is riding on stock Denali 17 inch wheels and stock tire size. So bigger rims doesn't necessarily cause added strain. Anyways I wouldn't shy away from if its been well maintained. Cars will need parts as they are driven that's a given, a differential, not an easy replacement but not major in the grand scheme of a vehicles life. That wouldn't steer me away from a Denali. Your mechanic could be being over zealous about it or it could need one. He wouldn't know for sure unless he opens up the differential to find out.

1992rs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@GMmatt compared to a 4wd Tahoe or Yukon they are a bit higher maintenance, but compared to other vehicles they are still pretty low maintenance. The awd will accelerate wear on the steering, hubs and differential but it's all how you use it and take care of it. I'm at 137k and am not easy on it and my front differential is still going. Lately because of the cold mornings it's a little loud upon start up but once it's warmed up, it's solid. At the end of the day, living in the pnw I wouldn't trade the awd for anything but you might not see that it's necessary. As 22's are concerned, they might put more strain but how much more shouldn't be that much of a concern, plus they look better and I think my 20's ride way better than the 17's I had.

I'm also heavily biased towards the gmt800 Denali and think it's the best looking suv gm has ever made so take everything I said with a grain of salt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMmatt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I'm sad to report that I passed it up. Wanted it really bad but long story short I was advised against it and fearful of costly maintenance. Thanks again to both of you for the reply.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you like it, buy it. I love my 02 Denali and at 138k it seems like it's just broken in. Of course I've done quite a bit to it as far as mods and maintenance but nothing major. The trans was rebuilt before I bought it. Keep in mind it was originally a $48,000 truck in 2002 and the new ones are more like $70 k so I always figure that if something like a differential goes out its still well worth it. These rigs are known to go to extremely high mileage without too much breaking.
Edit: oops, didn't see you passed it up. Too bad.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2004 Yukon Denali AWD 6.0 engine
132k miles
$8000

I'm thinking of buying this vehicle and had recently spoke with a mechanic about it. He said the differentials in the AWD go bad around 130k miles. Does anyone else experience this or do they last much longer?
Also the truck has 22" rims and 305 tires. Will this really put that much more strain on the suspension?
I was advised not to buy the vehicle that is was high maintenance. Do you guys agree or is my mechanic just being overly concerned?

View attachment 70291

Saw your post that you didn't get the Denali, the Esky and Denali eat front diffs even people that have regularly changed the fluid still have issues you just never know, the transfer case has a clip that overtime can wear a hole in the case but where it is most likely you won't know till it's too late, they make and updated clip, brake lines on these trucks rot out quick if your in a snowy place, there is a seal between the transfer case and tranny that can go letting tranny fluid leak into the transfer case and burn the trans up if you don't know about the leak, intake gaskets are common there's and updated one out now, other than that there great trucks I got my 04 Esky 6.0 AWD with 155k at 160k and change and running mint so far

jiggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I see that it's been a while since anyone posted so hopefully someone is around lol. I'm looking at trading my 99 burb with 184 k for an 06 escalade with the awd and 174k. It seems to be in pretty good shape but due to bad credit(don't judge but not putting all my chips on the bowl)I'm buying it from a bad credit dealership. It's the best of all the vehicles I looked at today.

They are giving me a pretty good trade value for my burb so I'm strongly thinking about it. Is there anything specific to the 06 escalade that I should look for? When I drove it tonight the air ride seemed to function correctly, all the interior functions seemed to work correctly i.e. Heated seats and power functions of the seats, stereo sunroof rear wiper etc. not much wear on the seats but you can tell a family had it cause it's still dirty(worst detail job for a lot vehicle I've ever seen) they are asking 13500 but they said they will Lower the price. All the belts look good and there were no signs of leaks or an accident on the frame or underneath. Also no weird smells. Only thing we noticed was a shimmy in the front along with some noise either from the diff or wheel bearing and it doesn't have the nav disk.

I'm wanting to down size from my full size burb but still need to be able to tow,have room for 6-7 people. Plus it's a Cadillac and it's not rusted to crap lol. I feel having a vehicle with a full power train warranty is better than trying to do repairs to my burb. I have to pay someone to do the work because I'm not able to do much more than the required work like oil changes my self. Anyone think this is a good deal or should I keep my burb and just do the work. Burb needs the spider injection upgrade, tune up, new cats, need to figure out the random vibration in the front end and some small leaks at the t case and cooler lines. Already did Intake gaskets and trans service shocks fuel filter front shocks. Tires etc when I bought it.

bayareadude84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I see that it's been a while since anyone posted so hopefully someone is around lol. I'm looking at trading my 99 burb with 184 k for an 06 escalade with the awd and 174k. It seems to be in pretty good shape but due to bad credit(don't judge but not putting all my chips on the bowl)I'm buying it from a bad credit dealership. It's the best of all the vehicles I looked at today.

They are giving me a pretty good trade value for my burb so I'm strongly thinking about it. Is there anything specific to the 06 escalade that I should look for? When I drove it tonight the air ride seemed to function correctly, all the interior functions seemed to work correctly i.e. Heated seats and power functions of the seats, stereo sunroof rear wiper etc. not much wear on the seats but you can tell a family had it cause it's still dirty(worst detail job for a lot vehicle I've ever seen) they are asking 13500 but they said they will Lower the price. All the belts look good and there were no signs of leaks or an accident on the frame or underneath. Also no weird smells. Only thing we noticed was a shimmy in the front along with some noise either from the diff or wheel bearing and it doesn't have the nav disk.

I'm wanting to down size from my full size burb but still need to be able to tow,have room for 6-7 people. Plus it's a Cadillac and it's not rusted to crap lol. I feel having a vehicle with a full power train warranty is better than trying to do repairs to my burb. I have to pay someone to do the work because I'm not able to do much more than the required work like oil changes my self. Anyone think this is a good deal or should I keep my burb and just do the work. Burb needs the spider injection upgrade, tune up, new cats, need to figure out the random vibration in the front end and some small leaks at the t case and cooler lines. Already did Intake gaskets and trans service shocks fuel filter front shocks. Tires etc when I bought it.

Sorry, But to be honest $13K is a RIP OFF for an 11 year old Escalade with that many miles !!!!

I'm sure If you keep searching around you can find a '07 newer Yukon XL / Suburban for that price range.

Dave

jiggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, But to be honest $13K is a RIP OFF for an 11 year old Escalade with that many miles !!!!

I'm sure If you keep searching around you can find a '07 newer Yukon XL / Suburban for that price range.

Dave

Oh I've Been looking lol. I'm actually trying to down size so a xl Yukon or suburban would just be keeping what I have now lol. The escalade is the small one not the ext. I've been doin some value research and for my area on a rust free or even with minor rust the dealership fair market price is around 9500 with a retail price of about 10450. I was surprised to see that high of a value with that kind of mileage but this one is loaded with the nav and DVD system 2nd row heated seats. Im going to try and talk them down as much as I can. They already said they would come down but didn't say how much. It needs tires because they are mismatched and that's a no no on awd vehicles, and needs some other small issues addressed. So if they won't put new tires on it I'll make them take my cost off the price too. And of course I'll as for a full tank of gas. So fingered crossed. If it doesn't work out I'll keep my burb

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I've Been looking lol. I'm actually trying to down size so a xl Yukon or suburban would just be keeping what I have now lol. The escalade is the small one not the ext. I've been doin some value research and for my area on a rust free or even with minor rust the dealership fair market price is around 9500 with a retail price of about 10450. I was surprised to see that high of a value with that kind of mileage but this one is loaded with the nav and DVD system 2nd row heated seats. Im going to try and talk them down as much as I can. They already said they would come down but didn't say how much. It needs tires because they are mismatched and that's a no no on awd vehicles, and needs some other small issues addressed. So if they won't put new tires on it I'll make them take my cost off the price too. And of course I'll as for a full tank of gas. So fingered crossed. If it doesn't work out I'll keep my burb

Tally up everything it needs and deduct that off the KBB value and that's the price you pay don't overpay, it's ok to pay a lil over but not 3k over sounds like there trying to take advantage of people with bad credit imo, most banks won't give you a loan for more then the value of the truck and there might be a mileage limit too, best bet is a credit union

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore