the real story on spark plug wires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheatswake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is write-up i found on dodgeforum.com from a guy everyone thinks is a wealth of knowledge. i found it informative and interesting.

THere's one thing that needs to be mentioned here and, that is, that 90% of the wires out there are complete rubbish and, for the record, MSD falls into that category.

Same can be said about Accel wires as well as numerous brands that all use junk core wire that is not shielded properly for one and, uses a cheap arse boots and ends.

I have tested four types of wires and every one but two had failed to shield RMI and from crossfire induction. Those were MSD Supers, Accels, Moroso's Ultra 40s and Napa Belden Blues. I had issues with all and, those issues were mis and crossfires.

MSDs gave me an open circuit condition and intermittent fault conditions in addition to misfire and crossfire condition.

MSD and almost everyone out there buys the wire from one manufacturer. They rave about the low ohm spec but, there's an issue- that low ohm wire is not intended nor was it ever intended to be used on an EFI application period. In using those, it creates a real issue with radiation into the EFI components and wiring harness all the way to the PCM and can fry or damage the chips in the PCM. Despite claiming to have superior shielding, I found misfires a plenty.

One of the problems is the wires that are being shoved into parts stores with the *** pitch of super low ohms are the "in thing" and "you'll get more HP"- that is complete BS and nothing but pure *** racket to get the unknowing consumer to buy their products. The fact was, when we dyno'd some engines recently with MSD wires, we saw a loss in HP vs. when using Magnecor and Taylors, we saw an increase in HP due to no loss.

Now, not to misunderstand this, it's not that the latter wires were contributing to more HP- they weren't but, they were allowing the FULL potential of what the engine was capable of go through whereas, MSDs were not efficient and power was lost as a result.

I have run two sets of MSD, top of the line Super-8.5s and, in both tests, they crapped out, had issues with EMI shielding (which f-s up the PCM and EFI system due to EMI radiation) had issues with inferior crimping, poor mechanical design on the metal ends and huge, heat storing molded boots that entraps heat at the plug thus causing the plug to run hotter than was designed. It also makes for a pain in the arse to remove those boots as well due to the cheaper silicone in the boot mixed with a polymer / rubber material.

The boot is perforated / pressed in such a way that it weakens the metal thus allowing it to distort or, in my case, bend outward thus opening up and losing contact due to sloppy fit.

I had noted no continuity on one wire 100% and, when opening it up, found the spiral core to be broken three - four inches above the top of the boot line. I also noted three more MSD wires that were intermittent in continuity thus bending or vibrating conditions would generate a fault. This adds up to a 50% failure rate.

In all cases, I personally avoid MSD wires like the plague. I would rather use piano wire than their stuff. They used to make some good stuff but, over the years, they have had some quality issues across the board- not just their plug wires. Same can be seen with their Dashhawk POS that they were selling and now no longer support. (According to the MSD forum)

In all cases, the super low ohm wires are to be avoided like the plague on EFI vehicles. The original intent was to be used on NON-EFI applications such as race engines where, there's no computer.

It is my personal opinion based on use and test that Magnecor wires, hands down, are the best wire that you can get that will outlast any plug wire on the market today and give superior resistance over it's lifespan, coupled with 100% of the highest grade silicon for the insulator as well as exterior of the cable. Magnecor. http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm

They make their own wire for starters and, all the materials are top quality. Even when using the standard, race-car wiring look, I have yet to experience a mis or cross fire condition under high load conditions such as towing.

The other company that also makes their own wires and has a great boot design is Taylor wire company. Their ends are great, allow heat to dissipate and, are easy on/off.

I would not use their low ohm wire but, their mid resistance wire and, most likely, an 8mm wire set would suffice.
96 Dodge Ram 1500, 4WD, Hughes FI Airgap, Edlebrock RPM heads, Sharps, Hughes T-chain set, custom -6AN Al billet fuel rails, Bosch FIs, JBA headers, JBA 3" CAT back, F&B TB, -6AN SS PTFE supply lines, Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Pulstar Plugs, Magnecor Racing 8MMs, SCT Tuned, MSD Coilpack, Volant CAI, Amsoil

Fast55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just noticed this sticky, but I can say from experience you are spot on regarding MSD. Short story is: I was stranded twice due to the MSD-6 Off Road, coil, and wires in my '01 Dodge Quad Cab. Towed to the dealer who was nice enough to not charge me,,,,,,,,the first time. Second time was $100.00 and I was thankfully only 3 miles away. MSD bought all of this crap back. Maybe OK on pre-ECU vehicles, but never again on a modern car/truck. 8.5 MM Magnecor wires on the way for my 6.2.

jrplz

Reaction score

SammieC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, having a miss under a load problem and have some napa belden wires, yet the mechanic cannot figure anything out, but having done a tune up not too long ago, the cross firing and such and new sketchy idling, this might be exactly the problem.

Either way its good info for us newbs, thanks!!

unoigo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can vouch Magnecor wires.... They are top notch. They are made in the USA right here outside of Detroit. I have them in my 07 esky and have had no problems.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the magnecore on my 08 also. No complaints

bacin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just noticed this sticky, but I can say from experience you are spot on regarding MSD. Short story is: I was stranded twice due to the MSD-6 Off Road, coil, and wires in my '01 Dodge Quad Cab. Towed to the dealer who was nice enough to not charge me,,,,,,,,the first time. Second time was $100.00 and I was thankfully only 3 miles away. MSD bought all of this crap back. Maybe OK on pre-ECU vehicles, but never again on a modern car/truck. 8.5 MM Magnecor wires on the way for my 6.2.

Did you order the magnecore 8.5mm model 85283?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094