The Family Truckster (my mod/build thread - 2012 Yukon Denali)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

67RS427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:
Checked fuel pressure and quality, good there. Ran the truck while spraying carb cleaner around intake gasket, air duct and vac lines, no spike in R's, so I pulled the Y pipe and ran it briefly with open manifolds... super loud but idle seemed to be fine leaving me to believe the cats are plugged, though, I'm not resting easy as the cats aren't rattling nor did any crap fall out of the Y when I removed it and shook it around... I blew compressed air through it and it seemed like a LOT less was coming out compared to what I was spraying in... so I'm hoping this is the right avenue to go down...

Currently awaiting both funds and parts availability for a replacement catted y pipe.... magnaflow is "currently developing" a high flow cat system for my truck (a lot of good that does me now). And the factory replacement from my local GM dealer is "currently unavailable" ($900 with my old employee discount when they finally do locate me one).
I've been heavily on the fence about doing long tubes with high flow cats from Am Racing or Kooks etc etc (around $1500) however, tuners that I trust ensured me it would sound AWFUL with Corsa Sport and LTs... which really bums me out as that would be the no brainer replacement for this situation.... also, I've yet to do LTs on any of my LS# vehicles and have always wanted to....
Was told if I were going down that road to get rid of my Corsa and replace with two magnaflow mufflers... that's way too expensive of a rewind for me...

Anyone on here running that setup or similar?
Anyone in the Detroit area so I can listen?
Anyone on here have an old 4x/awd 6.2 catted Y pipe laying around they wanna get rid of?

Sure wish this would have happened closer to July (first paycheck in July has a significant holiday bonus) then while she's down I could have tackled the brakes upgrade, upped the boost, pinned the crank, swapped the injectors and plugs, and knocked out a few other projects I've been planning for.... again.... life doesn't care about your plans! Bahaha, ugh...

I might have an extra Kooks Y Pipe kit for sale locally with high flow cats for a good price... You're welcome to hear mine when its done with Kooks Long Tubes & LSA Installed. I have heard the same about the sound with bolt on cat back kits. The only advise I can offer is to NOT downsize your exhaust system (most are only 3" except one brand, can't remember). We are lucky with the 6.2L to have 3.5" Stainless Exhaust all the way back. Most people, including myself end up cutting out the factory muffler and replace with a Magnaflow #12909. Remove resonator (or don't) and you are good to go... I will also note that the Kooks Y Pipes do REQUIRE the long tubes. It will certainly add some power in your application though. I will let you know how it sounds in the next 10 days or so. I'm in Detroit area...