The Family Truckster (my mod/build thread - 2012 Yukon Denali)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
FamilyTruckster

FamilyTruckster

Awesome Dude McChainsaw
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh... P0300 (only... no additional/specific codes like 301/302 etc etc) - Barely runs, idles like I have the biggest cam in the world, sounds absolutely awful (happened Friday morning)....
"This is why we can't have nice things!"
Had to forge on an head out on our planned trip/vacation to Chicago, there now, back home tomorrow night-ish... will start with fuel pressure (take a fuel sample while I'm at it), then brake kleen around the intake, then disconnect the Y pipe/cats and give that a shot...
Off the cuff... I'm thinking cats or intake gasket... catch 22... intake gaskets cheap, but timely... cats easy but pricey... ugh... why!?!?!?!?!?

Last edited:

DenaliEd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, just read through this whole thread, lol, nice build so far. I'm really tempted to put an LSA on my Denali....

Should have traded it on that SS. They're soooo nice....

OP
OP
FamilyTruckster

FamilyTruckster

Awesome Dude McChainsaw
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, just read through this whole thread, lol, nice build so far. I'm really tempted to put an LSA on my Denali....

Should have traded it on that SS. They're soooo nice....

Bah, thanks, I really appreciate it!
The SS would be a perfect fit on all fronts except it would most likely have to endure at least one if not two salty Michigan winters... plan was to snag one now while my kids are smaller (1 and 3 yrs right now) then have it paid off by the time they've out grown it, save it as my cruiser/project/hot rod etc etc and get back into a full size, but as I know very well, life doesn't care about your plans lol.
LSA and your Denali you say eh? Dooooo itttttt! You'll get more than enough help between here and perf trucks and the LSX sites... my case excluded, the drivability with a roots is absolutely beautiful... and of course the power is a blast as well, I love beating up on coyote mustangs around dearborn with the AC on and my kids giggling in their car seats the whole time Bah!

OP
OP
FamilyTruckster

FamilyTruckster

Awesome Dude McChainsaw
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update:
Checked fuel pressure and quality, good there. Ran the truck while spraying carb cleaner around intake gasket, air duct and vac lines, no spike in R's, so I pulled the Y pipe and ran it briefly with open manifolds... super loud but idle seemed to be fine leaving me to believe the cats are plugged, though, I'm not resting easy as the cats aren't rattling nor did any crap fall out of the Y when I removed it and shook it around... I blew compressed air through it and it seemed like a LOT less was coming out compared to what I was spraying in... so I'm hoping this is the right avenue to go down...

Currently awaiting both funds and parts availability for a replacement catted y pipe.... magnaflow is "currently developing" a high flow cat system for my truck (a lot of good that does me now). And the factory replacement from my local GM dealer is "currently unavailable" ($900 with my old employee discount when they finally do locate me one).
I've been heavily on the fence about doing long tubes with high flow cats from Am Racing or Kooks etc etc (around $1500) however, tuners that I trust ensured me it would sound AWFUL with Corsa Sport and LTs... which really bums me out as that would be the no brainer replacement for this situation.... also, I've yet to do LTs on any of my LS# vehicles and have always wanted to....
Was told if I were going down that road to get rid of my Corsa and replace with two magnaflow mufflers... that's way too expensive of a rewind for me...

Anyone on here running that setup or similar?
Anyone in the Detroit area so I can listen?
Anyone on here have an old 4x/awd 6.2 catted Y pipe laying around they wanna get rid of?

Sure wish this would have happened closer to July (first paycheck in July has a significant holiday bonus) then while she's down I could have tackled the brakes upgrade, upped the boost, pinned the crank, swapped the injectors and plugs, and knocked out a few other projects I've been planning for.... again.... life doesn't care about your plans! Bahaha, ugh...

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not get a speed engineering y pipe to replace yours? Magna flow high flow/spun cats are only 40-60 bucks a piece. So you would be under 375 easily vs 900

OP
OP
FamilyTruckster

FamilyTruckster

Awesome Dude McChainsaw
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not get a speed engineering y pipe to replace yours? Magna flow high flow/spun cats are only 40-60 bucks a piece. So you would be under 375 easily vs 900
Because I didn't know such a thing exists! Lol! So SE makes a Y for our trucks to replace the factory? Not JUST for their manifolds/headers????

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fastline22