The Family Truckster (my mod/build thread - 2012 Yukon Denali)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FamilyTruckster

Awesome Dude McChainsaw
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(Just thought I would throw this together since I'm finally starting to move forward on some of my "projects".)
Back in August (2015), I traded in my 2012 Silverado Ext Cab, Z71 LTZ 5.3L @ 80,000 miles (awesome truck, just not enough room for rear facing child seats and my wife and I being pretty tall). To that truck, I had done a Volant CAI with Scoop and Donaldson Power Core filter, JBA headers, & Corsa Sport exhaust (for performance) other stuff = WeatherTech mats & a Barracuda module.
Anyway, I got an amazing deal on the perfect vehicle for our family, a 2012 Yukon Denali (AWD/6.2L) bucket rear, clean @ 80,000 miles. So, right off the bat, I was able to swap over my Volant CAI (minus the scoop), front WeatherTech mats & the Barracuda module... had to take a hit on the Corsa and JBA headers (huge bummer, but I am on a mission to hear the Corsa again!).
The only thing "wrong" with the Denali when I purchased it, was that it did not have the original rims, but rather it had some awful (not my kind of style) rims... 17" black and steel american outlaw rims? The center caps had skeletons wearing cowboy hats and holding pistols... not for me, so I made a deal with the dealership (I used to work there as a tech for 5-6 years), shaved off a couple bucks and swapped the rims from my silverado onto it. So, I'm on a mission to eventually get rid of the tahoe/silverado rims and get a nice clean set of CK375's.

Here's what it looked like circa purchase date....
Untitled.png
IMAG3021.jpg
And with the Volant installed...
IMAG3087 (2).jpg
IMAG3088 (3).jpg

OP
OP
FamilyTruckster

FamilyTruckster

Awesome Dude McChainsaw
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moving forward, I purchased the rest of the WeatherTech mats/liners for the rest of the vehicle (entire back seat area and entire cargo area) - I joke with the wife now and put the "fancy carpet mats" back in when we go out on dates!
Also, I noticed the previous owner replaced the battery with an undersized duralast... took that as an opportunity to upgrade to an Optima Yellow-Top D35.
At this point I began the planning for a Magnuson TVS1900, and while I was searching and saving, I (recently) replaced the spark plugs and wires (factory plugs and Taylor 10.4 mm wires), replaced the Volant CAI's filter with a fresh one and added a Volant Pre-Filter for insurance, and started working on a boost gauge and how/where to mount it. Originally I went with the steering column pod from AutoMeter (which was awesome and perfect) and an American Muscle Series gauge, but I really liked the door corner as mounting location, and realized that if I was only going to have one gauge, the AeroForce Interceptor Gauge was more suitable and "bang for the buck/space" (in my opinion).

Original Setup...
IMAG3210.jpg
IMAG3214.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
FamilyTruckster

FamilyTruckster

Awesome Dude McChainsaw
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally I purchased a Magnuson TVS1900 (used - HELL of a deal). Came with just about everything (just not everything for my application). The kit I got a hold of is for an 08-09 full size GM truck, the only issue/difference is the heat exchanger and fuel rail setup. So, basically, I have to use the factory fuel rails from an 08-09 full size truck along with a cross-over tube that Magnuson makes to reach over the blower. So, I've been cleaning up the blower (replaced the bearings, changed the oil, changed a few seals & scrubbed it good), and acquiring misc. parts and pieces needed (entire cooling system kit incl. hoses, brackets, IC pump, harness and tank, and heat exchanger, etc.).
IMAG3527.jpg
IMAG3529.jpg
IMAG3530.jpg
IMAG3594.jpg

OP
OP
FamilyTruckster

FamilyTruckster

Awesome Dude McChainsaw
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Studying up on the blower and what was needed to make it work for my vehicle, and going over the install instructions I noticed my blower did not have the IAT wires coming from the driver's side mid-blower... Looking into this issue I came to find out that the blower originally came from Lingenfelter, they maintain the IAT built into the MAF and tune for that, whereas Magnuson re-locates the IAT to the side of the intercooler inside the tub of the blower.
Obviously my kit did not come with a tune, so at this point I made the decision to do my future modifications in stages, and stage one would be a complete Magnuson/Factory setting style install, which required me to install an IAT (incl. the necessary grommets), acquire a stock Magnuson tune and the original 6 lb. pulley... I picked up the IAT, Harness and Sensor Grommet from a local dealership, but needed to order the IAT wire grommet from superchargersonline.com...
So right now I am waiting on a big ole package from SCOL that has that grommet, the original pulley, and the heat exchanger/cooling system kit & a handheld with the factory Mag tune loaded, when that comes in, my check list will be complete and install should begin!

The IAT and Sensor Grommet installed...
IMAG3583.jpg
The wires coming from the blower's IAT port, the grommet i'm waiting for allows these wires to pass through it...
IMAG3584.jpg

OP
OP
FamilyTruckster

FamilyTruckster

Awesome Dude McChainsaw
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned in the previous post, I am doing these projects in stages... while I'm waiting on parts I guess I'll explain the stages...

Stage I (in stone)
- Magnuson TVS1900 @ factory/magnuson settings (6ish lbs. and their tune, etc.)
- CK375s & Tires (Kumho)
- Corsa Sport Exhaust and Escalade Rear Bumper

Stage II (in stone)
- Pulley down (boost to 8-9 lbs.)
- Swap back to my factory injectors (maybe - the Magnuson pink injs are 46 lbs and my factory ones are around 50-52 lbs.)
- Black Bear Tune
- HD Tensioner
- Crank Pin Kit
- Baer or Wilwood 14" brake kit (calipers/pads/rotors - front & rear)

Stage III (tentative / just ideas really)
- cam
- dyno tune
- headers
- throttle body
- 8 rib kit (this may find its way into stage II)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442