The Death Wobble occurred....looking for answers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gossamer

Reaction score
Well it happened....the Death Wobble. Going 70mph and just out of nowhere....barely made it off the highway...whew!
It has been wobbling slightly and not constantly until yesterday.
Ok, here is the info.....Ball joints, Tierods, Hubs, End links, Shocks already changed.
Tires are different ones...wheels are balanced and tight.
Pitman arm is tight.

Just changed tierods & end links Saturday....was getting alignment this week. Gotta be more than just needing an alignment though.
Steering was really great and tight after the tierod change until yesterday when I thought it was starting to feel loose. (tierods were installed correct and nuts tightened)

I am thinking steering link or gear box?

Anybody got ideas?

Thanks

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What truck are you working with? Stupid question but are your lugs tight? Swap front and back wheels and rule out easy stuff first. Bigger tires? Steering box could prob be tightened up or go over all your work. Maybe something loosened up.

OP
OP
Gossamer

Gossamer

Reaction score
What truck are you working with? Stupid question but are your lugs tight? Swap front and back wheels and rule out easy stuff first. Bigger tires? Steering box could prob be tightened up or go over all your work. Maybe something loosened up.

2002 Tahoe...2 wheel drive
Lugs are tight...same size of tires that it has always has. Nothing is loose

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tie rods, it's virtually impossible to do them correctly by just eye balling them, I would say get the alignment asap. :2cents:

OP
OP
Gossamer

Gossamer

Reaction score
tie rods, it's virtually impossible to do them correctly by just eye balling them, I would say get the alignment asap. :2cents:

I agree. Even though I matched them exactly the steering wheel went from a perfect center at 12 o'clock to about a 930-1000 o'clock position

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have drove straight to an alignment shop after installing tierods and eyeballing it. Not waiting days and driving around the freeways at 70 but to each their own. Hate to see what you've just done to your tires.

OP
OP
Gossamer

Gossamer

Reaction score
I would have drove straight to an alignment shop after installing tierods and eyeballing it. Not waiting days and driving around the freeways at 70 but to each their own. Hate to see what you've just done to your tires.

Tierods were done on Saturday afternoon. The first day it was driven over 5 miles was yesterday.
When you assume you make an ass out of yourself....in which you have.
Guess you know late night weekend shops that do alignments...huh?
As far as my tires go.....that was as stupid comment seeing that it was hardly even driven.

Why even comment? Looks like you are incapable of providing any positive comments so why waste your time and mine? SMH

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude you're the one coming on here asking us why we think your truck has a wobble after you eyeballed the friggin' tierods. My comment stands- everybody who does the tierods usually drives straight to an alignment shop. Don't drive it anywhere else and if you do and it shakes and wobbles, don't come on a forum and ask why we think it might be wobbling. Otherwise it's you who are making an ass out of yourself. I actually AM capable of positive comments. Go get an alignment and quit wasting our time. Sorry if I didn't pat you on the back and say it's OK. Go post this on any other forum and see if you don't get a lot worse. We are actually nice here. ;)

Last edited:

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tierods were done on Saturday afternoon. The first day it was driven over 5 miles was yesterday.
When you assume you make an ass out of yourself....in which you have.
Guess you know late night weekend shops that do alignments...huh?
As far as my tires go.....that was as stupid comment seeing that it was hardly even driven.

Why even comment? Looks like you are incapable of providing any positive comments so why waste your time and mine? SMH

if you had offered up all that info at first, you'd not look like a dick right now to everyone reading your last post.

no one here can read your mind. but now we know your skin is super thin and you butt hurt super easy, learn to internet better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne