Tech 2...

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by swathdiver, Jun 6, 2017.

1. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James

Yes, I checked the ALDL on the truck and all the pins and wires are fine. There are six in use on this truck. Right before I purchased it, the dealer re-flashed the BCM and fixed the cruise control and I was there.

Ok, earlier today hooked the Tech2 with CANdi back up to our 2009 GMC Yukon XL and the splash screen (for lack of a better word) does not show the CANdi attached. The CANdi however, powers on, clicks and the green light flashes. If I set the Tech2 in bypass mode (enabled) I can get in to viewing data but the values such as actual RPMs are blank with a *. It will not recognize the CANdi at all, it is as if it is not even hooked up.

Walking over to my 2004 Pontiac Montana, again the CANdi is still attached and does not show up on the splash screen. Setting the TECH2 to bypass mode allows me to see all engine functions in real time and I even reset two trouble codes (one of the reasons I bought this!).

At this point I wonder if it is the adapter to the ALDL? The TECH2 will recognize the CANdi with the loop back connectors installed on the kitchen table and pass all tests.

The 16-Pin adapter has 19 holes on the other side that attaches to either the TECH2 or CANdi. Two of those holes, 3 and 15 are not active, no connector in them. Not sure what to do at this point. Any ideas?

2. about20ninj45

about20ninj45 Full Access Member

Name:
    Damien
    Well for starters I would test for continuity between the aldl connecter and thier corresponding pins on the bcm TCM and ECU. Is relatively easy to do if you have a dvom. You would just have to have a long wire with a needle or alligator clip. If thier are no broken wires, I'd check your voltage which must be at 13.5 at a minimum.

You can also try pulling the radio fuse which is also known to cause communication issues with the obd2 port. If you can, try those things listed and report back

swathdiver likes this.
  3. about20ninj45

about20ninj45 Full Access Member

Name:
    Damien
    Also are you doing this with koeo?

4. swathdiver

Name:
    James
    What is koeo?

Will get the Voltmeter out tomorrow and have a go at it. AND check the voltage.

Today at a traffic light, there suddenly was a smell of burning plastic. I figured it was a passing car and it probably was. But just as I cleared the intersection the voltmeter read well over 14 volts and that is the first time I've seen it get that high. I pulled over, popped the hood and nothing was amiss. The voltmeter usually reads between 12 and 14 because of that system for better economy which is not unplugged on my truck, not yet anyway. Delco battery is about 2 years old.

Anyhow, I'll check them out tomorrow after cleaning the garage.

5. HiHoeSilver

HiHoeSilver Away!

Name:
    Nate
    Key On Engine Off

6. swathdiver

Name:
    James
    No, Key On, Engine Running; always.

7. swathdiver

Name:
    James
    Alright no problems with the ALDL either. I reckon it's the ALDL adapter.

Maybe I should purchase one that has all 19 pins populated?

8. sk1dm4rk

sk1dm4rk Full Access Member

Name:
    Mark
    Do you have access to another 2007+ vehicle to try your setup on? A friend or relative?

9. sk1dm4rk

sk1dm4rk Full Access Member

Name:
    Mark
    Where are we with this? Are you good now?